Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rockyboy

Default Jane Seward of Ide Devon.

Jane Was my fathers maternal great grand mother. She was born in 1829, married John William Isaac
    of St Sidwell Exeter in 1852. They sailed to Australia on the Pharsee in 1853. She died in Ferry St
    Kangaroo Point Brisbane Queensland in November 1900. Her parents were Richard Seward born
    in Devon in July of 1795 and Susanna Manning born in Chawley Devon around 1796 dying in St Thomas
    , Exeter in January 1867. Can anyone help me go back in the family history?
    Thanks
    Rockyboy

Knowledgeable and helpful

Richard Seward was baptised 26 July 1795 in Whitestone, Devon. He married Susanna Manning 27 April 1823 in Alphington.

Richard's parents were John Seward and Jane Langamaid who married in Whitestone 19 April 1795

Hope that helps.

Emeltee

Knowledgeable and helpful

FreeReg2 has the following baptism

Susanna Manning bapt. 26 December 1793 in Chawleigh, parents Thomas and Susanna

Possible marriage Thomas Manning/Susanna Wheten 29 June 1783 Ashreigney.

Emeltee

Have you checked the 1851 and 1841 census? I see that there's a Jane Seward of the right age and birthplace working as a servant in Chudleigh in 1851. Anc has the family name as Seryward in 1841 when she's one of 5 children living in Ide with Richard & Susan S.

Richard Seaward (spelling was a fuzzy thing back then) married Susanna Manning in 1823 in Alphington.

rockyboy

emeltee
    Thank you for that information.
    regards
    Rockyboy

rockyboy

Lesley
    Yes i have seen that. She was working for John Petherick, the postmaster. Somehow her name was spelt as Seyward.

Perhaps whoever was taking the census wrote down what he thought he heard.
    regards
    Rockyboy

The "y" is in the 1841 entry as well. Possibly whoever collected the census data thought that was correct (in my OPS it was always the local schoolmaster and odd little variations changed with the foibles of outgoing or incoming teachers). Possibly it WAS correct at that time.

Have you looked for the Isaac family in those censuses as well?

janbooth

FindmyPast, which is a pay per view site, has the actual parish register image of the baptism of Richard SEWARD in 1795, the parish register image of his banns and marriage in 1823 and that of his burial in 1861 at Ide. There is also a burial record for a Susan SEWARD at Ide in 1867.

However, FMP do not seem to have the parish register images for Chawleigh, so will not help you in the short term for your MANNING ancestors. But, you will find the parish register image of the banns & marriage of John SEWARD & Jane in 1795.

Janet

rockyboy

Lesley
    I have done that and here are the results. John Williams father was Phillip Isaac born in Devon around 1795. England
    select Marriages 1538 to 1973 shows the marriage of Phillip Isaac to Elizabeth Collins at St Mary Major Exeter on the 23/4/1826.
    John William had an elder brother William born at Buckerell Devon on 17/11/1817. Phillip died at Torrington Devon in January
    of 1839. The 1851 census has 21 year old John William living in St Thomas with his mother and step father William Sergeant.
    He was a fishing tackle maker. His step father is a basket maker. The family name of Isaac would suggest a Jewish heritage.
    Jews were in Devon from around 1730. My research would also suggest that many Jews altered or changed their name to blend
    into English society. How simple would it be for Isaacs to become Isaac. The history of my mothers Hart line in Australia shows
    the change over time from being fully Jewish to almost totally non Jewish . The same could have happened in Devon.
    Regards
    Rockyboy

rockyboy

Lesley
    I have done an internet search on the Jewish history of Exeter. There was a Jewish presence in Exeter as early as 1181.
    By the time of king John there was an archa, which I take to mean a records office in Exeter with two Jewish chirographers in 1275.
    At the time of the Jewish expulsion from England there were 39 Jewish families in Exeter. The Jews returned to England during
    the Commonwealth period and by 1757 there was Jewish burial ground and a Synagogue by 1764. In the 18th century local
    miners referred to the smelting ovens as Jews Houses. if they were called Jews houses is it not possible that Jews were running
    the smelters. There are also references to Jewish businesses in Exeter in the 1790s. The Isaac family was in the Exeter area
    around that time. Given their family name that is more than a coincidence, even if by this time they were no longer practicing
    Jews. What do you think?
    Regards
    Rockyboy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast