Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Reputation beyond repute

Default GRO New Functionality

This is the current message on the GRO home page

" New functionality available

New functionality to search for GRO Historic Birth and Death Index References online is now available through our website"

For births, mother's maiden name is included even for pre 1911 births.

For deaths, age is included even for pre 1866 deaths

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    This is the current message on the GRO home page

For births, mother's maiden name is included even for pre 1911 births.

For deaths, age is included even for pre 1866 deaths
    Well spotted Peter. When I was ordering a certificate the other day, I noticed this but dismissed it because the birth index only goes up to 1915 and the death index up to 1957, but as they obviously include addition information they are worth a revisit, so thank you.

Message from Mod added: 21 May 2019
    Birth index now extended to 1918 inclusive.
    See posts 42 and 43 in this thread.
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 21-05-2019 at 7:00 PM. Reason: Added a note

Knowledgeable and helpful

GRO launch a limited trial of uncertified copies of BMDs each PDF will cost £6.00p.
    More details at
    https://anguline.co.uk/ohrn.html

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

You need to go to https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ and register. If you were previously registered for ordering certificates, enter your details and you will be e-mailed a verification code to start using the new site.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

SueNSW

Full details in Peter Calver's latest newsletter - https://lostcousins.com/newsletters2/...lnov16news.htm

It's not perfect yet though - very first family I tried to check for siblings on didn't have the man I was looking for listed - he is certainly showing on FreeBMD. There is the option to advise them of discrepancies and omissions though.

Quote Originally Posted by SueNSW View Post
    It's not perfect yet though - very first family I tried to check for siblings on didn't have the man I was looking for listed - he is certainly showing on FreeBMD. There is the option to advise them of discrepancies and omissions though.
    It helped me sort out 3 births and a death within a 4 year period, all with the same first and last names. No births with these names before or after this 4 year period. (unusual names) One of them died, age of death on FreeBMD 1 year which has to be correct but the GRO has her as age 23.

Why are there some birth records without a maiden name for the mother? Does this indicate that the mother is unmarried?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

One of the things I have noticed is that it is very specific about the spelling of the registration district, which if, like me you are often looking at those in Wales, you will know that the spellings of some places vary over time. So you need to use the spelling that applied at the point in time.

Reputation beyond repute

Why are there some birth records without a maiden name for the mother?
    There's a sort of explanation there under "Most customers want to know..." and "Searching the GRO online historic birth and death indexes"

Q17. Why is Mother's Maiden Name shown in most, but not all birth indexes?

In some cases Mother's Maiden Name was not data captured, and will appear in the online index as a dash. However, we have where possible enhanced the indexes to include Mother's Maiden Name where it has previously not been provided on the microfiche indexes.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    ... a limited trial...
    From 9th November....
    The trial will last for only 3 weeks, but may close earlier (only 45,000 PDFs will be made available at this price). My guess is that those 45,000 PDFs will be sold very, very quickly - which is why I have rushed out this special edition newsletter!

(from https://lostcousins.com/newsletters2/...lnov16news.htm)

I have had a little play today thinking that it might help me identify some of the missing 8 siblings of my great grandfather. I know there to be 8 missing from his mother's 1911 census return. But unfortunately the combination of Roberts / Griffith(s) in Carnarvon is just too common - over a period between 1865-1880 there are 102 births!!

I did think, quite reasonably that I could whittle the list down, by easily eliminating certain individuals, but then looking at those that I have certificates for I realised that one of them has the wrong mother's maiden name shown, but it is the right certificate - right address, right father's name, right occupation, right mother's first name etc. Mother registered the birth, but she was illiterate. So if one certificate I have has the wrong maiden name, how more would be the same?

The only way I will ever know who they were, and what happened to them is if the registers are fully opened, and I can't see that happening, which is a shame, because they may have been babies or small children, but they would have still have left their mark on my great great grandparents.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast