Default HMS Royal Arthur

Good Morning
    I wonder if anyone on this forum knows anything about HMS Royal Arthur, specifically what year Class of 21 was?
    My dad is on a photo I have a copy of and I just wondered.

Is anyone interested in seeing the photo?
    Suzy

Welcome to the British genealogy forums
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading this will tell you a little about us.

I used a search engine to try and find information on HMS Royal Arthur and found this on Wikipedia
    One ship and one shore establishment of the Royal Navy have borne the name HMS Royal Arthur, in reference to the legendary King Arthur:
    HMS Royal Arthur (1891) was an Edgar-class armoured cruiser launched in 1891 and sold in 1921.
    HMS Royal Arthur (shore establishment) was a training centre established near Skegness between 1939 and 1946, and at Corsham between 1947 and 1993.

So did your father serve in WW11? The reference to Class of 21 sounds like a class in training.
    If you have your father's death certificate you can apply for his service records from the MoD. This link tells you how.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Christina, thank you for your prompt reply, I do have some information on the shore establishment and you are correct about Class of 21 being training class number. I would have assumed the photo could be dated by the Class and the year that class was trained at Skegness. No worries, perhaps when I find some of my late dad's papers again I will find details. I have his Medals and am proud that he was of service.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by crittenclan View Post
    Good Morning
    I wonder if anyone on this forum knows anything about HMS Royal Arthur, specifically what year Class of 21 was?
    My dad is on a photo I have a copy of and I just wondered.

Is anyone interested in seeing the photo?
    Suzy
    Could it simply mean "The Class of 1921" - i e the year of "graduation"?
    I'd love to see the photo Suzy, although I have no connection to HMS Royal Arthur (I just love to see old photos - and putting them online means that they can live for evermore... okay, I'm weird )

Jane

Rob Marshall

I'm also trying to identify the date of a class at Royal Arthur that my father (Robert Marshall) was on. The class is shown as 171 on the group photograph of him and others, most notably John Neville who after the war became a famous actor on both movies and TV.

The number could be a group entry number rather than a year - the 21st or 171st group to be trained. I know that's how my Dad's (RAF) entry was handled in training. Of course the services all do things differently...

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    The number could be a group entry number rather than a year - the 21st or 171st group to be trained. I know that's how my Dad's (RAF) entry was handled in training. Of course the services all do things differently...
    My understanding is that each Class in training had a Class number assigned to them. They were in chronological order so you should be able to find a link between the Class number and the date. If it helps my father in law went through HMS Royal Arthur in December 1947 on Class 547
    Of course there would have been multiple classes in any individual year. I would post a photograph if only I could find out how to do it.

QP