Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Slocomb's in Breconshire, Wales

I have hit a brick wall trying to find a birth certificate for my great-grandmother Jennett Slocomb. I have her Marriage Certificate which shows her marrying Isaac Heffran on 25 Jan 1872. It indicates her age at 22 so she would have been born around 1850. They were married at Bedwellty, Wesleyan chapel tredeger, Monmouth. Her father was George Slocomb. I believe that Jennett and her siblings were born at Blaenavon Iron Works, Pontypool, or at Lianvilo, Breconshire, wales. Havn't been able to find entries for her or any of her siblings. Any help would be greatly appreciated. jim Hart

Hi
    Just some background from which to start
    1861 RG9 Piece 4216 Folio 71 Page 16
    Llangynider Breconshire
    George Slocomb 41 Tin miner Tickenham, Somerset
    Mary Slocomb 45 Llanvilo, Breconshire
    Samuel Slocomb 18 Llanvilo, Breconshire Coal miner and Wesleyan Methodist local preacher
    John Slocomb 9 Blaneafon, Monmouthshire Scholar
    James Slocomb 6 Duke's Town, Scwrfa
    Ann Slocomb 13 Blaneafon, Monmouthshire
    Jennet Slocomb 11 Blaneafon, Monmouthshire

The mother Mary is nee Phillips. marriage Sept 1/4 1840 Pontypool.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Their daughter Elizabeth age 25 born Blaenavon , with George and Mary in 1871 age 25 RG10 Piece 5314 Folio 62 Page 6
    and with her Aunt and Uncle William and Catherine Jones in 1851 (age 5 born Llanover, Monmouthshire )
    HO107 Piece 2447 Folio 165 Page 41
    Possible birth registration
    Elizabeth Slocomb March 1/4 1846 Registration district Abergavenny, Monmouthshire vol 26 page 26
    Abergavenny registration district includes Blaenavon and Llanover

Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Hi Christina, I believe George Slocomb and Mary Phillips to be Jennett's parents but would like to get Jennett's or one of her siblings birth certificates to verify that Mary Phillips was her mother.. I have sent for the marriage records of George Slocomb and Mary Phillips sept 1840, Pontypool, Vol 26 Pg 136. I also found the Abergavenny registration for Elizabeth and also Ann (48), John William (52) in Abergavenny and James (55) inCrickhowell . But no Jennett? so maybe I should send for one of the others. Maybe Jennett was a nickname or middle name? Anyway thanks for your help. jim

Hi Jim
    Possible birth registration
    Elizabeth Slocomb March 1/4 1846 Registration district Abergavenny, Monmouthshire vol 26 page 26
    Abergavenny registration district includes Blaenavon and Llanover
    If you decide to order a birth certificate through the GRO you can choose to omit the vol and page number and on the second page specify that the Parent's names must be George and Mary. You can always specify George's occupation too. ordering this way means they do a search either side of 1846 and if the parents are not correct they will give you a refund.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Hi Cristina, Thanks for the tip on ordering from the GRO. I will order one this way for Elizabeth. I am waiting to receive eight others that I have ordered for Loves, Smalls, Heffrans and others. Its gets expensive and you are a big help. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimhart View Post
    Hi Cristina, Thanks for the tip on ordering from the GRO. I will order one this way for Elizabeth. I am waiting to receive eight others that I have ordered for Loves, Smalls, Heffrans and others. Its gets expensive and you are a big help. Jim
    You need a lottery win

Let us know what the certificate says when you receive it.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi Jim

If you decide to order a birth certificate through the GRO you can choose to omit the vol and page number and on the second page specify that the Parent's names must be George and Mary. You can always specify George's occupation too. ordering this way means they do a search either side of 1846 and if the parents are not correct they will give you a refund.
    Christina
    I wonder if this is her!!

June qrt 1850, Sloane Jennet, Abergavenny, vol 26 page 23. Abergavenny was the registration district for Blaenavon. You could send for the certificate following Christina's advice above.

I cannot find any other records for a Jennet Sloane in Monmouthshire, no census, death or marriage.
    Alma

Great find Alma.
    I had tried searching just for Jennet (and variations) anywhere in England but nothing showed up for me. Thank you for checking it out.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Hi Christina and Alma, Sorry for the delayed thank you. I did follow Christina's advice and sent for Elizabeth's Birth with no vol or page and parents as George and Mary. Got no match and a refund. Now I am going to request Jennet Sloane (Slocomb?) with vol 26 and page 23 and also James Slocomb without vol and page but with parents as George Slocomb and Mary. I'm hopeful Alma that you solved my problem. I'll let you know the results. Thanks so much to both of you for your help. Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast