Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
It depends on what company one tests with.

Originally the ethnicity was determined by the samples the various companies were presented with when they attempts to develop a database of ethnic groups.
They asked for people whose families had lived in a region for many generations to submit for a DNA test and developed the ethnicity for various regions based of the results.

Over the years these results have been refined but they are not definitive.
The samples are only a small proportion of the population of any given area so cannot be imagined to be accurate.

Cheers
Guy
A few months ago Anc** updated their ethnicity estimates and my results, and my brother's are much more in line with what the paper trail supports - Mine shows 92% England, Wales, Northwestern Europe, 4% Irish and Scottish, and 4% Norwegian, which I take to be Vikings settlers in Britain. My brother's is much the same, except that he has Swedish instead of Norwegian. My daughter's is accurate as well.
I have made some progress on identifying my unknown grandfather, i have it down to 2 sets of brothers with one set having matches on the maternal side, so those 3 brothers are strong contenders. I have also made progress on an unknown great great grandfather, although the families from both of these puzzles come from the same rural parish, so it's a bit of a challenge!