Default Overseas payment of 30 GBP for army record?

I have visited the MOD site and filled out the forms needed for me to receive my father's military record. The instructions say to write a cheque for 30 pounds payable to "MOD Accounting Officer".

I live in the USA however and so am unsure as to how I should proceed. I could send an International Money Order or an International Bank Draft but I actually don't know if either are acceptable and I see no telephone number or email address to use in order to request information.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

Thanks!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello stuartcrawford,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

On this https://www.army.mod.uk/welfare-support/23212.aspx scroll down to the first box 'Request from former Army personnel for their own records'.
    If you send an email begin by apologising as you know it's the wrong department but then say you live in the States, and would be very grateful if they could pass your query to the relevant department. They might just reply themselves.
    The phone number seems to be the same for all the queries.

We would be very grateful if you could come back and post the answer. I'm sure someone else will ask the same question at some time.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

I could send an International Money Order or an International Bank Draft but I actually don't know if either are acceptable
    On the web site:

"You can pay by cheque or postal order - or by banker’s draft or international money order if you’re overseas."

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    On the web site:

"You can pay by cheque or postal order - or by banker’s draft or international money order if you’re overseas."

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...-elses-records
    Memo to self - read the small print!

Thank you, Peter.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

STUART

Perhaps the following might help you. Jackie certainly helped me.

From memory I thought one didn't pay if one is next of kin?
    Jill

"Please find below the link for guidance on requesting army service records:

https://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/Ab...erviceRecords/

Jackie Meechan | E1, Disclosures 4 (Historical), Support Division,
    Army Personnel Centre, MP 555, Kentigern House, 65 Brown St, Glasgow G2 8EX
    DTN: 94561 2570 | 0141 224 2570 | Fax: 3172
    DII(F): APC-Sp-ParlDiscl4-6E1
    Mailbox: apc-sp-parldiscl4-6E1 AT mod DOT uk
    (Disclosure branches are contactable by phone between 1000 hrs & 1200 hrs & 1400 hrs & 1600 hrs Monday to Thursday & between 1000 hrs & 1200 hrs on a Friday)
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 20-10-2016 at 2:55 AM. Reason: Email address deactivated.

The only time no payment is required is if you are asking for your own records, next of kin must supply death certificate and pay the £30
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    The only time no payment is required is if you are asking for your own records, next of kin must supply death certificate and pay the £30
    On the application form for next of kin:-
    The administration fee of £30 will be waived for applications from those who were the spouse or civil partner of the subject at the time of death (or parent if there was no spouse or civil partner).

Regards

Malcolm

Quote Originally Posted by stuartcrawford View Post
    I have visited the MOD site and filled out the forms needed for me to receive my father's military record. The instructions say to write a cheque for 30 pounds payable to "MOD Accounting Officer".

I live in the USA however and so am unsure as to how I should proceed. I could send an International Money Order or an International Bank Draft but I actually don't know if either are acceptable and I see no telephone number or email address to use in order to request information.

Any suggestions as to how to proceed?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladkyis View Post
    An important item to send in addition to the forms you have to fill out. Thanks for the reminder Ladkyis.

Pam

Hi Pam...

I followed your suggestion and got immediate results with an email the following day. The first email exchange (with Gerry McArdle) asked for my father's information (name, dob etc.) so that he could confirm that there was a record in the archives before I sent in any money. I supplied the information and got a subsequent email from Jackie Meechan who confirmed that a record for my father existed. Also, I was informed that "When you submit your application please also send a photocopy of your father’s death certificate and an International Money Order or bankers draft made out in £30 sterling as directed"

Thanks for the advice!

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for your reply.

And full marks to the MoD for confirming that a record for your father exists before you went to the expense of obtaining an IMO or bankers draft.

Pam