Default George ELVIDGE and Mary BOOTH

I found this whilst transcribing BMDs from the Grahamstown Journal, a newspaper from the Eastern Cape, South Africa, from an issue dated 18 April 1873. At this time it took about two months for mail to reach the Cape from England.

CURIOUS WEDDING
    Mr. HODGKINSON of Lower Albany has sent us the following for publication:- Kneesall was recently thrown into a state of excitement by the announcement of a wedding about to take place from the quiet little village of Ompton, which is situated about one mile distant. The names of the happy bride and bridegroom are Mr. George ELVIDGE, widower, aged 75, and Mrs. Mary BOOTH, widow, aged 76. The bride was given away by Mr. C. WILSON, aged 66. The bridesmaid was Mrs. WILSON, aged 72. They were brought to church by Mr. S. KOLK, aged 56, in a carriage and grey kindly lent to them by Mr.W. HODGKINSON Esq. The carriage has been in use 30 years and the horse 25 years. As the wedding party was leaving the church the bride was presented with 50 farthings… [obscured] many people assembled to witness this remarkable wedding. The bells rang out a merry peal and [as] the happy pair arrived at their destination they were met by a band of music, which played at intervals throughout the day. This is the fifth wedding this summer since the church has been undergoing restoration. Mansfield Reporter.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The marriage took place in December quarter 1872, Southwell registration district.

I wasn't surprised by the ages of the bride, groom, etc being reported in great detail but what made me laugh the most was
    The carriage has been in use 30 years and *the horse 25 years*.

A little more digging found the same report in the Cheltenham Chronicle dated 19 November 1872, so I can fill in the gaps.
    As the wedding party was leaving the church the bride was presented with 50 farthings *kindly given by Mr Hopkin.* *A great number had* assembled to witness this remarkable wedding. The bells rang out a merry *peal: and when* the happy pair arrived at their destination they were met by a band of music, which played at intervals throughout the day.
    The Chronicle also says the driver of the carriage was Mr S *Kelk*.

I've taken the liberty (since I didn't find the article) of adding postems to the entries on FreeBMD about the ages of the couple and that more information might be available through the Mansfield Reporter or other newspapers.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”