Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Aberdeen - 1918 Communion Rolls

Unfortunately forum posts made between approximately 22 August and 20 September were lost in a server update.

This is at least part of a thread that was lost. I have given it the original title, posted by MrMaccy.

Originally posted 6 Sep at 10.20am by Mrmaccy

Hi,
    Is anybody able to search the 1918 Comminion Rolls for South Church of St Nicholas, Aberdeen please? The person i am looking for is Neil George Watt McConochie born on 09/01/1918 to Marjory Carnegie McConochie (nee Duffus, nee Watt)
    It would be gretly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Originally posted 6 Sep at 11.08am by Pam Downes

Hi Andrew,

Are you sure you're asking for help with the correct document? The way I read it in this blog https://www.
    oldscottish.com/blog/r-is-for-communion-rolls is that the Communion Rolls are lists of people who take communion, and if he was only born in 1918 Neil certainly wouldn't have been old enough to take communion in that year. His mother might be listed.

Though the next question is - do you know that the Rolls for that church, in that year, definitely exist, and if so, where they're held.
    Followed by - if an entry is found, what information do you want from it?

If you're looking for information on Neil I would have thought that his birth certificate would have told you what you wanted to know, and that can be downloaded from https://scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ for a modest fee.

Pam

Originally posted 6 Sep at 12.45pm by Mrmaccy

Hi Pam,
    I contacted the NRS regarding the Kirk Session Records for Aberdeen as i was told that his birth might be recorded in them, as he was an illegitamate child and i received the reply below. I already have my grandfathers birth certificate but his mother refused to put on the certificate who the father was!!
    I've hit a brick wall, and have no idea where to look next.

Answer from NRS
    Thank you for your enquiry of 14 June concerning a record of an illegitimate birth in the records of Aberdeen Kirk Session in 1918. Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying; we are currently short staffed and are experiencing an increase in the volume of incoming enquiries.

From information given on ScotlandsPeople, Neil George McConochie’s birth was registered in the district of St Nicholas in the Burgh of Aberdeen. National Records of Scotland (NRS) hold records of Aberdeen, South Church of St Nicholas Kirk Session, reference CH2/2. However, we only hold surviving minutes for this parish up to 1914. The only surviving Aberdeen, South Church of St Nicholas records held by NRS which cover the year 1918 are Communion Rolls.

All the best,
    Andrew

Originally posted 6 Sep at 1.31pm by Pam Downes

Hi Andrew,

As I've already said, I don't think Neil would appear in the Communion Rolls, though his mother might. On the other hand, if she'd had an illegitimate child she might not.

Have you tried asking Aberdeen/Aberdeenshire Archives for anything they might hold. If they do hold something which might yield a result most archives will do a search for you. Might cost a tenner but it's usually cheaper than a day return rail ticket. (As well as being more time-efficient. )

I did have a lightbulb moment when I wondered if the George Watt in Neil's name was a clue - only to dismiss it when I realised that Marjory's maiden name was Watt. Nor can I see that Marjory married again after Neil's birth. I presume that she didn't have any more children after Neil. Did she have any before him? Do you know about their descendants? It's surprising how many family secrets one section of a family has that another section know nothing about.

Unless anyone else can up with any more ideas I have a feeling that you've got an insurmountable brickwall. No consolation for you to know that we all have them, sooner or later.

Pam

Originally posted 6 Sep at 2.02pm by Mrmaccy

Hi Pam,
    This is everything i know.

It's a bit complicated, but this is a brief summary:
    Marjory Carnegie Watt was born in 1889 in Aberdeen.
    In 1911 she lived in Castle Terrace, Aberdeen
    In February 1913 she married James Duffus in Aberdeen
    In July 1913 James Duffus died.
    In January 1916 she married John Flett Pyper McConochie and lived in Carmelite Street, Aberdeen.
    John Flett Pyper McConochie then goes off to France and doesn't return until 1919.
    In January 1918 Neil George Watt (my grandfather) is born. The birth certificate states that John F P McConochie is not, surprise, surprise, the father!!
    Neil is brought up as a McConochie, but doesn't find out until 1981, when he takes out the Watt from his name!! Marjory & John McConochie had five children betwen 1920 & 1933, half brothers & sisters to Neil.
    My great aunt has some recollection of a Mr Walker who apparently, was a lodger at Carmelite Street during 1916-18. Unfortunately, no first name, but perhaps had a sister called Minny Gray!!
    That's all i know!!
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Originally posted 6 Sep at 2.22pm by Pam Downes

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that brief summary.

In view of the fact that Marjory's husband was still alive when Neil was born I very much doubt that you're going to find out any more. For instance, I don't think a baptism record is going to show the father. (Though my thoughts have been proven wrong on some previous occasions.) Sorry.

Pam

Originally posted 6 Sep at 4.40pm by Lesley Robertson

The Kirk Session records of the CoS in the 19th century frequently name unmarried fathers - pregnant women were summoned and required to name them and both were frequently summoned to be told off. I'm not sure that the practice lasted into the 20th century, though. In the CoS you can't take Communion until you've been confirmed and that doesn't happen until you know what you're promising. I think that I was in my early teens when I was "done". The Communion Rolls are unlikely to give much info.

In your position, I would contact the very helpful and informative Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS. If there's any possible source, they'd probably know. From memory, I don't know what the cutoff date for Kirk records being in NAS rather than at the Church is.