Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Settling in

I'm trying to find a birth registration for my great grandmother Alice Smith 1853 - 1896.

On two Census forms she gave Ashbourne, Derbyshire as her birthplace but I haven't been able to find it. Any help would be much appreciated.

Lisbet

Hi Lisbet
    can you give us the census references for your Alice. Piece, folio, page numbers and her parents names and birth dates. Anything that will help identify her. Who did she marry and when etc.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Have you tried name variations? A lot of people switched between Alice and Alison in records...

Settling in

Alice Smith aged 30 married Arthur D'Arcy Wall in 30th January 1883 at Oldham. Her father is listed as Isaac Smith, Pattern maker.
    I found an Isaac Smith in the 1861 Census who seems to fit. Piece 2878, Folio 109, Page 41. He is a widower and Alice is aged 8.
    In the 1881 Census Alice is aged 28. Piece 4077, Folio 62, Page 1. In the 1891 Census she is 38. Piece3333, Folio 24, Page 14.
    I hope that this will help. Thank you for your help

I found an Isaac Smith in the 1861 Census who seems to fit. Piece 2878, Folio 109, Page 41. He is a widower and Alice is aged 8.
    That census records Alice as born in Manchester.
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    That census records Alice as born in Manchester.
    Isaac is described as born Derbyshire on census returns, perhaps Alice was a little confused, her older brother Samuel was born Salford but living with grandparents in Derbyshire in 1851, maybe Alice lived with her grandparents for a few years too.

There's a big age gap between Samuel and Elizabeth was Isaac married twice!
    Alma

The 1861 census having Isaac born Belper Derbyshire could be a tenuous tie to Derbyshire for this Alice age 8. Her sister Elizabeth age 9 in 1861 marries a John Bintley? in 1876
    West Yorkshire, Non-Conformist Records
    Elizabeth Smith age 24
    Father - Isaac Smith pattern maker
    Married 16 Oct 1876
    Spouse - John Bintley age 24
    Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
    Residence - Longwood

Isaac Smith married Louisa Adcock June 1/4 1838 Derby Registration district. Samuel Smith age 16 in 1861 census is with his Adcock grandparents in 1851
    I am just following this family through in case we can match up Alice with any of them.
    Christina

Hi almach just seen you rpost. sorry for repeating your observations.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

1841, St Alkmund, Derbyshire. HO107; Piece: 199; Book: 5; Folio: 10; Page: 16
    John Adcock 65
    Ann Adcock 64
    Isaac Smith 25
    Louisa Smith 24

1851, St Alkmund HO107; Piece: 2142; Folio: 52; Page: 12
    John Adcock 74
    Ann Adcock 74
    Sam Smith 6, grandson, Manchester.

I haven't found Isaac or Louisa in 1851, however a lot of Manchester 1851 returns were watered damaged.
    Alma

Hi almach just seen you rpost. sorry for repeating your observations.
    No need to apologise, Christina, the good thing is we are in agreement

Wish Isaac would show himself in 1851
    Alma

Settling in

Thank you Christina and Alma. I had found those entries, but had missed the 1851 Census with Samuel living with his grandparents.
    In the 1861 Census Samuel is also a Pattern Maker. This family seems to fit the criteria. I also found a death registration for Louisa Smith 11/1/1854. she is buried at Elvaston, Derbyshire.

I noticed that the 1861 Census said that Alice was born at Manchester and also that there was a big gap between Samuel and Elizabeth and Alice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast