Default John Trumper Sledge

Im looking for john trumper sledges parents he was born 1808 in middlesex.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello John,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I have deleted your other post which asked exactly the same question because we do not allow duplicate posts. From experience we know they cause only confusion.

I presume this is your John.
    Married to Mary Ann Laughlin Laley (according to Ancestry's transcription but someone has suggested that it should be Patey) on 19 December 1832 in Holy Trinity Islington. One of the witnesses was a John Patey.

1841 census age given as 33 (other people's ages are also given as 'odd numbers' rather than being rounded down to the nearest multiple of five) living in the parish of St Botolphs Aldersgate. County given as Middlesex.
    Also in the household are Mary aged 30, John 7, William 4, Mary 1, all said to be born in county. Census ref HO107/724/10 folio 9 page 12.

Can't find him in the 1851 census.
    Death registered June quarter 1857 Islington registration district.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hello John,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I have deleted your other post which asked exactly the same question because we do not allow duplicate posts. From experience we know they cause only confusion.

I presume this is your John.
    Married to Mary Ann Laughlin Laley (according to Ancestry's transcription but someone has suggested that it should be Patey) on 19 December 1832 in Holy Trinity Islington. One of the witnesses was a John Patey.

1841 census age given as 33 (other people's ages are also given as 'odd numbers' rather than being rounded down to the nearest multiple of five) living in the parish of St Botolphs Aldersgate. County given as Middlesex.
    Also in the household are Mary aged 30, John 7, William 4, Mary 1, all said to be born in county. Census ref HO107/724/10 folio 9 page 12.

Can't find him in the 1851 census.
    Death registered June quarter 1857 Islington registration district.

Pam
    Thankyou yes this is him

Still looking for his parents my dad got stuck here before he passed away colin sledge was his name born in enfield

Dundee10

The family is in Islington in 1851.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGNM-ZPC

(Piece: 1499; Folio: 87; Page Number: 2)

Illegible handwriting and wrong ages on census records makes it a bit of a chore. The grandmother in 1851 is Christiana AYRES, Mary Ann's mother and grandmother to the children.

Mary Ann was baptised in 1813 at St Dunstan, Stepney to William LANGDON and Christiana PATEY. It doesn't state that she was illegitimate but none of the other entries have the mother's surname. Mary Ann's name when married was Mary Ann Langdon PATEY.

Christiana PATEY married in 1833 at St James, Clerkenwell to James AYRES. Mary Ann (SLEDGE) remarried in 1860 at St James, Holloway to James BRUCE (father William LANGDON a pencil maker). They are all together in 1861.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2M2-DLNZ

(Piece 130; Folio 26; Page number 50)

Christiana has two different birth counties so that's not good.

Thinking John might have a similar story I found his baptism by accident. If you are using Ancestry, the baptism has been mistranscribed as John TRUMPER.

St Giles in the Fields
    Born 21 May 1808
    Baptised 17 June 1808

John Trumper SLEDGE
    of Thomas by Mary

Dundee10

This might solve the 'Oxford/Dorsetshire' thing for Christiana:

Christant PEATY
    Baptised 5 Jun 1785
    Dorchester, Oxford, England
    Father: Benjamen PEATY
    Mother: Mary
    FHL Film Number: 95239

No image so I can't check the original handwriting.