Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default SARAH HUGHES BORN 1850 NEWCASTLE -

I would welcome advice as to whether it is possible to trace SARAH HUGHES born Newcastle on Tyne 1850
    as I don't know how to progress this.

Elizabeth HUGHES was my gm's mother and was one of 5 born to Benjamin HUGHES and Alice CLARK but now discover the latter weren't married. Parents lived first in Newcastle, where two children born then three born London. SARAH is the only one of the siblings I can't find.
    Family say that one of the siblings was found naked on a railway line, none of the others were. I thought that it would therefore be in a newspaper but no article can be found.

1851 census: HO107; Piece: 2407; Folio: 14; Page: 21: 20 Trafalgar Street, Newcastle on Tyne.

1861 census: RG 9; Piece: 349; Folio: 192; Page: 9 : 24 Agnes Street, Lambeth.

Sarah born 1850 Newcastle on Tyne christened 5.5.1850
    Francis born 1853 Newcastle on Tyne
    Alice born 1855 Lambeth
    Hannah born 1857 Lambeth and
    Elizabeth born 1859 Lambeth

In 1864 mother Alice died in Horsemonger Lane prison (her death certificate stated Hird known as
    hughes ie she thought her husband was dead and lived with Hughes.) Her death is recorded in the London Evening Standard Then shortly after her husband
    committed suicide. On 11..8.1864 the three youngest(ie Alice, Hannah and Elizabeth) were admitted to St Georges workhouse Southwark.
    Francis is on the 1871 census as a lodger in newcastle ie returning to where born.

So ... I would like to find Sarah who may also have returned to Newcastle ie the place of her birth as Francis did.

I appreciate this is appalling vague but I can't think of anything else to do to try to find her. If she was found dead on a railway line, then
    this surely has to be between the 1861 Lambeth census which she is on aged ten and I guess 1864.

Several years ago I was sent the following possibilities but it appears not to be her in each case.

Lambeth confirmed:

Death

1. Sarah Ann Hughes – No trace
    Lambeth June 1863 1d 25
    Parents - BENJAMIN HUGHES AND ALICE NEE CLARK

2. Sarah Hughes – No trace
    Lambeth Sept 1863 1d 212

Marriage– No trace
    3. SARAH HUGHES & William MARLOW
    Marriage 26.1.1873 St Mary's Lambeth

married 1873 = Sarah age c23 married WILLIAM MARLOW Understand she gives her Father as James which is incorrect.
    Thanks
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

???

janbooth

Perhaps another possibility for a marriage of your Sarah HUGHES but I have so far been unable to find this couple in the 1881 census to corroborate:

29 December 1872 at St John the Evangelist, Lambeth James FOWLDS, full age, widower, Cheesemonger, Waterloo Road, father John FOWLDS, dead & Sarah Ann HUGHES, full age, spinster, Waterloo Road, father Benjamin HUGHES, dead. James signed, Sarah Ann made her mark. Witnesses: James John GUNNELL & Sarah ISHERWOOD. I don't think the witness names are relevant as they seem to have signed quite a few of the marriage records as witnesses.

Janet

janbooth

This James FOWLDS is in the 1851/61 census records of Lambeth married to a Hannah born c1817 in Deptford, Kent. 1871 census shows him as an unmarried Lodger (James FOLDS) living at 148 Union Street, Southwark, but I still cannot find him or his 2nd wife Sarah in the 1881 census.

Janet

A fountain of knowledge

Dear Janet

I am very grateful for your input with this which is much appreciated. I turned this on to acknowledge your first posting
    and have just found your second posting.
    I have been checking documents and as far as I know, my Sarah didn't have a middle name. I don't know how to find census
    returns but was going to ask if it's possible to find her in the 1871 census although perhaps that's looking for a needle in a haystack. Thanks for pointing out about the witnesses names - that's a help as I don't recognise them.
    I did however google James Fowlds Lambeth and there is an entry present day for Fowlds Upholsterers in Lambeth. Under
    their History it says James Fowlds 1849-1915 "became a master chairmaker at age 21 in lambeth" and had 14 children.
    I will email them to see if they have anything on his marriage and in particular his wife.
    It could be, as I said, that Sarah returned to Newcastle as her brother Francis is a lodger in the 1871 census there
    with thanks
    Jill

janbooth

Jill,

There are two James FOWLDS in Lambeth around the time you are interested in. One is a Chair Maker married to an Ellen born c1850 in the 1871 census of Lambeth and he is still married to Ellen in the 1881 census so unlikely to be the James FOWLDS who married Sarah Ann HUGHES in 1872 and whose profession is a Cheesemonger. The James FOWLDS I found in the 1851/61 census records, married to a Hannah, is shown as a Cheesemonger in the 1861, so the correct profession to be the James FOWLDS who married Sarah Ann HUGHES in 1872, as is the James FOLDS shown as unmarried in the 1871 census of Southwark. The main reason I picked up on this marriage was because Sarah Ann's father was shown as Benjamin HUGHES deceased, which is correct for the Sarah HUGHES you are interested in.

Ah, could this be your Sarah in the 1871 census of Camberwell, Surrey (RG10/738, folio 62, page 16):

1 Gracefield Terrace, Blakes Road

Anne BURT Head Widow 30 Annuitant New Zealand Auckland
    Sarah HUGHES Niece Unm 21 Housekeeper Northumberland Newcastle

Ancestry have transcribed her age as 31, but it definitely looks like 21 to me.

Janet

A fountain of knowledge

Dear Janet

Very kind of you to continue trying to help me.

Re the marriage/s. Yes it was only when I was forwarding details of the first marriage that I picked up on the fact
    that James Fowlds was a cheesemonger, unfortunately I had just spoken to the Fowlds I mentioned I had found with a
    google search as Upholsterers in Lambeth!

Re the census possibility:

"Ah, could this be your Sarah in the 1871 census of Camberwell, Surrey (RG10/738, folio 62, page 16):

1 Gracefield Terrace, Blakes Road

Anne BURT Head Widow 30 Annuitant New Zealand Auckland
    Sarah HUGHES Niece Unm 21 Housekeeper Northumberland Newcastle

Ancestry have transcribed her age as 31, but it definitely looks like 21 to me."

My Sarah was born in Newcastle and age fits but I don't recognise ANNE BURT at all and can't work out how she would
    be a niece. Have referred back to all I know for Sarah's Father and her mother. Her mother Alice nee Clark had a sister
    Ann but I know nothing of her.

So ....... it is like looking for a needle in a haystack?! but very grateful
    with thanks
    best wishes
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

I am posting this again in the hope that perhaps someone spots that they are related to this family or know
    of my SARAH HUGHES who is the only one of the siblings that we can't find after the 1861 census.

Two points following my first posting here:

1) Jan Booth did a lot of work on trying to find her in the Lambeth area where the family were in the 1861 census
    but she may well have returned to Newcastle as her brother Francis did. The three younger siblings were in care after
    the death of both parents in Lambeth area in 1864.

2) In the 1851 census the family is in Newcastle on Tyne. This Sarah is there but there was also a baby Sarah born to the family in 1849 who died that year.

Guess it's utterly impossible to trace her and she could only be found if someone is related.
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

I am aware that trying to find my relative SARAH HUGHES seems utterly impossible but would welcome any input.

1) . In my first posting here I said that I had found the following Lambeth death yet Lambeth Registrar say No Trace
    "Sarah Hughes – No trace Lambeth Sept 1863 1d 212"

I have just checked and the entry on the site I saw it still stands so is there any way of exploring this possibility please?

I don't know what no trace means if it states Lambeth but guess present day Lambeth is different to that time.

2) Also at the back of my mind is that someone in the family says one of the girls was found naked
    on a railway line - but that might not be true. By a process of elimination that can
    only be Sarah. On the 1861 census the family is at Agnes Street Lambeth. Some
    years ago I checked and it doesn't exist anymore but was a street off Waterloo Road
    (which does) and made way for Waterloo station.

Perhaps a newspaper search is a possibility between 1861 when she in the census and say 1864
    when the mother goes into prison- perhaps due to Sarah's death.

I have just done battle with Newspapers online but still haven't got the hang of it because I can never
    narrow it down and end up with thousands of records. If a child was found naked on a railway line
    it would surely be in the newspapers. The Lambeth & Southwark Advertiser seemingly only goes up to 1861
    It could be that she returned to Newcastle on Tyne the place of her birth but think that would be after the 1864
    death of her parents.

3) Someone has just sent me the 1871 census for Flint Street Southwark with an entry for a
    Sarah Hughes Widow age 21 Charwoman with daughter Elizabeth age 1
    Hughes was her maiden name though. Would that get me anywhere?

Would appreciate any input please!
    with thanks
    Jill

1) . In my first posting here I said that I had found the following Lambeth death yet Lambeth Registrar say No Trace
    "Sarah Hughes – No trace Lambeth Sept 1863 1d 212"
    The details are those from the GRO as transcibed on FreeBMD so are not the registration details from the local Lambeth office. So if you are thinking of ordering the death certificate you order it from the GRO here
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast