Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1871, St John, Fartown, Huddersfield. RG10; Piece: 4371; Folio: 33; Page: 11
    Charlotte Cliffe, 29, dau, Saddleworth
    Caroline Cliffe, 26, dau, Bay Hall, Huddersfield
    Anne Cliffe, 22, dau, Bay Hall, Huddersfield
    Maude Bradbury, 9 months, visitor, Oldham Lancashire
    Alma

1851,Bay Hall, Huddersfield, HO107; Piece: 2295; Folio: 665; Page: 10
    Joseph Cliffe 42, widower, Teasle Dealer and Brewer, Leeds
    Mary Ann Cliffe 15, Oldham
    Charles Walter Cliffe 12, Saddleworth
    Charlotte Cliffe 9, Saddleworth
    Caroline Cliffe 5, Huddersfield
    Anne Cliffe 2, Huddersfield
    Elizabeth Mills 27, housekeeper
    Hannah Maria Walker 14, servant
    William Appleyard 15, servant

Is Charles Walter the father of Joseph born circa 1860!
    Alma

Some great stuff from everyone here in answer to the posters questions. Congrats Hopefully Cliffe will come back asap and answer the questions some of you have asked re Charles James Cliffe.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Joseph CLIFFE was the brother of my grandfather. Grandfather's details : Charles James CLIFFE born 1871, Salford, Lanc. parents were Charles Walter CLIFFE 1838 - 1899 Yorkshire and Catherine ADAMS 1840 - 1923 Edinburgh Scotland. CJ Cliffe shows up in census 81 Scotland, 91 Scotland, 01, 11 England. Married Edith Mary PATRICK 1898 Surrey. Census shows CJ Cliffe as a woollen salesman/traveller. I'm trying to find out who he worked for and exactly when he left Scotland and moved to England. I believe the firm may have been a Scottish company. Any suggestions about how I may find this information. Many thanks

yes, Charles Walter is my great grandfather and father to Charles James. It appears that my great grandmother Catherine Adams left husband Charles Walter Cliffe before the 1881 census and returned to Scotland. I have located Charles Walter in the 1881 census boarding and then possibly with a Elizabeth Cliffe in the 1891 census. Charles Walter must have been a bit of a rogue as he appears to have changed jobs frequently and some newspapers report from the Huddersfield Chronicle indicate he may have been in trouble with the law at times although how I confirm this is one and the same is difficult.

no, this is not the Joseph Cliffe that I am researching. Joseph's parents were Joseph Cliff born 1809 Glidersome, Yorkshire and Ann Raby born 1810 Featherstone, Yorkshire. Married abt 1835 in Oldham, Yorkshire

yes these are all ancestors of mine although I have no clue to the identification of Maude Bradbury. All the others are sisters to Charles Walter Cliffe

yes, this is the family that I am researching. Charles Walter is the father to Joseph and Charles James (great uncle and grandfather). Does anyone know what Bay Hall was at the time the family was living there. The family appear to have a number of servants does that indicate wealth?

yes, Annie Holdsworth is the same. Know that I seen the witnesses to her marriage I think George Francis Bradbury may explain who Maude Bradbury was as seen in the 1871 census. Thanks

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by cliff1861 View Post
    Does anyone know what Bay Hall was at the time the family was living there. The family appear to have a number of servants does that indicate wealth?
    https://huddersfield.
    exposed/wiki/Bay_Hall,_Huddersfield

Peter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast