Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Red face My Dublin grandmother Thompson Devilliers

Hi Im looking for my grandmother's birth certificate she was born 1863 and the records start in 1864.

Frances Thompson Devilliers born In Dublin in 1863
    She married my Grandfather Robert Stanley Jackson In Cape Town, were she had 4 sons one of which my father.
    She Died on 25th August 1931 in Cape Town

I would appreciate any help that you may give me in finding her. I assume Thompson was her mothers maiden name as its an unusual second name to have.
    I have searched the sites that I know of and come up empty. Shes listed under ancestry.com but only with the information given above.

Welcome to Brit-Gen belladonnas

I can't see anything for your grandmother either. Not even on ancestry.

Do you have her marriage record?
    I can see her death certificate on familysearch.org but that is no help with parents.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Default update Thompson DeVilliers

thanks the info I have is just her marriage to her spouses.
    1. to Melville Jackson probably in London
    2. Her marriage to my grandfather in Cape Province South Africa , Robert Stanley Jackson Lived in Beaufort West

I wonder if the birth date is listed wrong?

her first child Rodney my uncle was born in 1918. so that makes her rather old to have a first child if she was born in 1863?

Im looking at these dates seems rather strange her birthdate is so early 1863. her husband (my grandfather) was born in 1890 and died in 1970 . If she had her first child in 1918? that would mean she married him in the year before that 1917 1918 right.

It would mean she was well into her fifties before she had her first child and then went on to have three more? four in total. the last one being my father Dudley Devilliers born in 1925. These are definite dates.
    So If you do the maths.

1863 -1925. that makes her 62 when my dad was born .. seems strange.
    another definite date is she died in 1931 when my father was 7, that seems to add up with the story told to me by my father.
    My grandfather then remarried as was the custom then.
    I think her birthdate is too early, that is not right.

I was correct that date was was wrong she was actually born in 1894 . heres her precious gravestone and her beautiful picture with her cousin Queenie, given to me by my father ( her youngest son) and cherished by me all these years xxx Now we will research. Im new to this, so your help is invaluable and thankyou for the warm welcome youve given me.

Still need help or suggestions! please I tried the new birthdate 1894 on irish geneology.ie still comes up blan.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I can find no birth registration for Frances Thompson Devilliers in Ireland.

There are 415 females with the first name of Frances in Dublin in the 1901 Irish census, and no Devilliers. 553 Frances in Dublin in the 1911 Irish census. but no Devilliers.

Are you sure she was born Dublin, or even Ireland.

Was she adopted by a Devilliers, and her birth name was Thompson.

I can't find anything for her. It may well be the spelling of the surname, but even with a 'wild card', I can't see anything that may fit.

Sorry.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Unhappy

thanks Steve,
    I hadnt thought of that she may well have been born a Thompson adopted by a Devilliers. how would I go about finding her birth certificate in 1894 ? on which site.
    I did find one Devilliers male in Dublin a Duke I believe ??
    Another option is that Queenie Devilliers pictured above with Frances, wasnt her cousin, but in fact her sister in the adopting family?? wow this is a whole world of digging. Thanks in advance for any light you could shed on this Im desperate

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

What is her fathers name on her marriage certificate. Did her father leave a Will.

If she was born a Thompson, and 'adopted', then you have hit a brickwall I'm afraid. As there are a lot of female Thompsons born the same year. No christian name given.

Adoptions back then were very informal.

What written evidence have you, that she was born in Dublin
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast