Thread: Database

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Database

Hello everyone
    I've been getting stuck into my family research over the past few months and although I've still got a way to go its building quite well. I have seen people discussing converting data into a database and I thought why not. I've used Access in the past but would consider myself a bit rusty and in need of a brush up on how it works.
    If anyone on the forum has already or thought of doing the same could give me some pointers as to how a family tree database would be used and created I would be very pleased. Do they comprise of a single table or can it be a relational database with a number of tables. I have looked at the number of fields required and how many tables I could create but I'm not sure if that would be the best way to go.
    The only version I have to work with is 2003 so it's a pretty old version, but still usable. If there are members with the experience of building a database from this kind of data I would like to hear if it's a worthwhile project or a waste of time.
    Douglas95

I tend to use databases simply for keeping track of records. Thus, for my One Place Study, I have individual databases for birth, marriage & death certificates, the assorted census returns for the parish, monument inscriptions, etc, etc.

For recording family relationships, I use one of the software packages designed for genealogical use. The choice of which one to use is a matter of taste and requirements, so you would do well to try the free samples that most companies offer to see which suits you best.

Reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't necessarily have to be a relational database. Gramps (free, open source genealogical software) uses Berkeley DB.

See https://gramps-project.org/ or there's plenty of commercial software to choose from.