Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

If George Love emigrating on same ship as William is hi brother then this is the only possible census I can find at the moment. The Love surname does get mangled in transcriptions.
    Hetwoods Cottage West Ham, Essex
    Edward Love 43 Widow general laboure born Enfield Middlesex
    Eliza Love 20 dau housekeeper
    George Love 17 labourer
    William Love 15 stoker Plaistow, Essex
    Edward Love 13 labourer
    Rebecca Love 10
    Robert Price 20 lodger

BUT in 1851 the mother's name is Ann! However look at the surname of his step children called daughter in law which was an alternative description for step children back then
    Edwd Love 36 laborer Middlesex
    Ann Love 37 Middlesex
    George Love 6
    William Love 5
    Edwd Love 2
    Allice Love 3 Mo
    Mary Ann Ward 13 dau - in law
    Eliza Ward 10 dau - in - law

All children born Plaistow.
    There are no deaths of a Louisa Love 1851 -1861 but there are quite a few of an Ann Love in Essex same time period one being in West Ham Dec 1/4 1854

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Hi Christina, The names absolutely fit. I think the Mary A. under George was William & Sarah's daughter. The record my mother gave me includes all these kids plus Mary A (born in 1878). After arriving in the USA they went to New Albany, NY where Edward was Born on July 16, 1879 two weeks after their arrival at New York. Amazingly they had another four daughters after Edward. I'll bet George 36 was William's brother which gives me another possible way to find their father Edward and his wife. Thanks so much for your help. jim

Settling in

Hi Cristina, Just found your last message. Havn't totally found my way around this web site yet. The 1851 census with Edwd Love and Ann Love which shows two Ward Dau in laws and also George and William I am convinced is the correct one. To me this means Ann was previously married to a Ward and married Edwd Love about 1840. Mary Ann Ward isn't in the 1861 census so I have been trying to find a marriage for her in hopes of determining her father. No luck yet. Eliza is show as a Love in the 1861 census.

The George that came to the USA on the same ship as Edward is definitely his brother. They all went to New Albany, Indiana. Both Edward and George are shown as Glass Workers in the 1880 US census. Georges wife is shown as Jan N. Love and George's Parents birthplace are shown to be Ireland(England)? I did find a baptism record for a Edward Love on 11 Aug 1816 at Enfield, St Andrews with parents Edward and Elizabeth. Trying to track down some of these clues. Thanks for your help. Jim

George is on the 1910 US census with his wife and two daughters and 2 grandchildren. Both George and Jane M's parents born in England.
    His wife is Jane M so this looks like their marriage on FreeBMD
    March 1/4 1866 registration district West Ham vol 4a page 10 George Love and Jane M Dalival/Dalivall (two spellings for her name)

Lots of room for error with Jane's name but someone has submitted a correction to this census entry

1851 HO107 Piece 1556 Folio 472 Page 35
    5 St Anne's Place, Orchard House, All Saints, Poplar
    Thomas Dalwall 38 Glass maker born Northumberland
    Jane Dalwall 43 Newcastle on Tyne, Northamptonshire
    Isabella Dalwall 19 Glass smoother Newcastle on Tyne, Northamptonshire
    Joseph Dalwall 16 Pot maker Newcastle on Tyne, Northamptonshire
    Mary Ann Dalwall 10 Smethwick, Staffordshire
    Jane Maria Dalwall 5 born Poplar Middlesex
    Ann McKeo Dalwall 3 Poplar
    Daniel Cooper 22 Lodger
    John Carter 28 Lodger
    John Dennis 35 Lodger

her baptism
    Jane Maria Dalivell
    Baptised 10 Aug 1843
    Father - Thomas Dalivell
    Mother - Jane Dalivell
    Parish or Poor Law Union - Limehouse St Anne
    Borough - Tower Hamlets
    Register Type - Parish Registers

So Jane's family also Glass makers.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Growing old Disgracefully

Marriages Mar 1/4, 1841

Edward LOVE, Midhurst (The district Midhurst spans the boundaries of the counties of Sussex and Hampshire) Vol no 7, page no 473

on the same page is Lucy Pay.

Could she have been a widow and her maiden name was Lucy Ward.

I have Edward Love Married to Lucy Pay
    in 1851, 61,and 71 Census Born abt 1815, Residence Harting, Sussex, England

2 sons - Edward born abt 1842 Harting, Sussex, England, Baptism 2 Jan 1842, Harting,Sussex,England, census 51 and 61. Baptism 2 Jan 1842 Harting, Sussex

and William born abt 1845 Harting, Sussex, England (married Sarah McIntosh nee Small)

A possible daughter Ann Love, Baptism 14 April 1847, Harting, Sussex
    also a Mary born abt 1840 Midhurst.

Love brother and sister marry Pay brother and sister.

Edward Love[/B]

Event Type Marriage
    Event Date 20 Feb 1841
    Event Place Harting, Sussex, England
    Gender Male
    Marital Status Single
    Father's Name Edward Love

Spouse's Name Lucy Pay
    Spouse's Gender Female
    Spouse's Marital Status Single
    Spouse's Father's Name Thomas Pay

Lucy Pay

Gender Female
    Christening Date 20 Apr 1817
    Christening Place HARTING,SUSSEX,ENGLAND
    Father's Name Thomas Pay
    Mother's Name Ann

John Pay

Event Type Marriage
    Event Date 17 Dec 1842
    Event Place Harting, Sussex, England
    Gender Male
    Marital Status Single
    Father's Name Thomas Pay

Spouse's Name Martha Love
    Spouse's Gender Female
    Spouse's Marital Status Single
    Spouse's Father's Name Edward Love

Settling in

Hi Sandy, Thanks for all your responses. I was sure my Edward was the one that married Lucy Pay until I saw in William my great grandfather's death cert that his mother's maiden name was Ward. The 1851 census which shows Edward and Ann Love(Ward?) with sons William And George and Dau In Laws Mary Ann Ward and Eliza ward really support this. I've reached dead ends trying to find Edward or Ann Ward's parents. Don't know where to turn to next. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimhart View Post
    Hi Sandy, Thanks for all your responses. I was sure my Edward was the one that married Lucy Pay until I saw in William my great grandfather's death cert that his mother's maiden name was Ward. The 1851 census which shows Edward and Ann Love(Ward?) with sons William And George and Dau In Laws Mary Ann Ward and Eliza ward really support this. I've reached dead ends trying to find Edward or Ann Ward's parents. Don't know where to turn to next. Jim
    You need to get a copy of William Love born 1845 West Harting Sussex, England Birth Cert that will tell you who his true mother is.
    Information on a Death Cert is only what the informant knows/thinks about a person and can be wrong.

The same goes for information on the Census Forms its only as good as the person who fills in the Form knows. Daughter in law could mean any one of many possibility.

Settling in

Hi Sandy, Thanks for your suggestions. I have ordered several birth certificates for William and a marriage certificate for Ann ward. We will see what info they contain. If Williams father is the Edward and mother is Ann Ward then I found a couple of other things. After Ann ward died in 1854 he remarried Sarah Patience Oakley in 1855 who died in 1857. I also found that Edward died in 1875 at Union Workhouse, Leytonstone, Essex. My mother often talked about the poor houses. I wonder if she knew? I've done some reading about the workhouses. I didn't know anything about them before. Jim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast