Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
    3 October 1811
    Henry Milsom of 7 South Parade opens a Lodging & Boarding house for 12 persons ladies & Gents

20 September 1821 -

On Monday last in his 61st year Henry MILSOM lodging housekeeper of North Parade

4 October 1821

Application for executors Henry & Charles MILSOM of the estate of Henry MILSOM deceased

Some info already posted

1841 Has 2 Henry MILSOM b 1796 born in Bath

1) Henry wife Ann and sons Thomas & William living at Oak St H107 931 11 18 1829

2) Henry Milsom b1796 at South Parade H107 969 2 8 13 this one ties in with the Henry b1760 - 1821

A new Bath guide, or, useful pocket companion-
    Published 1762 (?) - Second edition

"... And from thence to the General Hospital, two new streets are laid out**, upon Ground of Mr Milsom's, which Streets are to be called BURTON-STREET and MILSOM-STREET..."

** The 1765 (?) - Third edition - reads "... two new streets are now building ..."

The Bath Chronicle & Weekly Gazette, Sun, 24 Oct 1824
    "In Claverton Street, Widcomb, at an advanced age, Mr Daniel Milsom, from whose family Milsom Street took its name"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The English Spa 1560-1815 - A Social History
    Phyllis Hembrey, pub 1990

"...Among other improvements from 1755 the corporation allowed the demolition of parts of the borough walls for building; their lessee Charles Milsom erected Edgar's buildings on the Town Acre in 1761 and with Daniel Milsom, started Bath's premier street, Milsom Street in 1763 ..."
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Lease in favour of Daniel Milsom

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...2-6ba2f73349ae

I think you will find that the Daniel Milsom died 1755 left no issue as he only refers to his brother Charles in his will!
    This Charles is married to Jane Cottle, his will is dated 1767 and mentions a Lawrence Cottle as exec together with his children.

It looks as if the land passed from Daniel d 1755 to his brother Charles's family then to Charles son of Charles, of course I may be wrong, however I think the wills are a must!

Hello Geneius and thank you for your contribution. I've often tried to make head or tail of the 'land' information we have found over the years and definitely believe it is linked in to the family. However, the dilemma is to try and somehow find the definitive proof that our Henry Milsom is directly related somehow to Daniel and his son Charles.

There seems to have been two Milsom families in Bath during the same period of time - one in and around Bathford/Batheaston and ours in the centre of Bath predominantly. Both families have Charles', Henry's and Daniels which has contributed to the difficulties in ascertaining the correct people. What we cannot seem to find is the parentage of our Henry ... is it Charles (son of Daniel) or Daniel (son of Daniel) or even Charles (son of Charles) ... all of whom we have discovered without being able to PROVE that Henry came from that line. It is sooooo frustrating/confusing and as I get older the jumble appears to increase.

I am really grateful for everyone's efforts and hope that one of you has the magic wand information that will prove Henry's parentage (or indeed Mary Ann Pope's).

One last thing ... my daughter is involved with the Smallcombe Cemetery clean up in Bath and we have found three of our Milsoms buried there with their respective wives. A truly wonderful experience to find these ....

A quick note about the portraits ... my father decided that these should be housed appropriately but sadly the Bath Corporation and various Bath museums were not willing to do this. Therefore, dad decided to sell them and divide any monies between his three daughters ... this was carried out in the summer and I am very happy to report that one of them (handsome Henry Milsom) now resides in a private library in Sydney Buildings, Bath. The other two are to be cleaned up before re-auctioning. Modern day homes these days do not lend themselves to such large portraits I'm afraid.

We have poured over these Wills many times and are convinced that your suggestion is correct ... but then where does our Henry fit in??? Scintillating isn't it??

I too have a similar problem to yourself, circa the same time frame and property is involved. I have 2 families with the same father's name and mother's as Eleanor or Nellie, the latter being a nickname for the former, children's names the same. I cannot get through the papertrail....

Whose wife is this? Charles b

Charles Millsom
    Marriage Date: 3 Sep 1727
    Marriage Place: Abbey Or Saint Peter and Saint Paul,Bath,Somerset,England
    Spouse: Mary Collings
    FHL Film Number: 0845236 IT 1, 865132

Hi again According to my research, the Charles Milsom you mention was firstly married to Jane Cottle and secondly to Mary Collings. This Charles Milsom was born 19 Nov 1705 in Marlborough, Wilts and he died in Basingstoke, Hants in 1767. I haven't read his Will for years now (it's in my Dropbox) but you may find it helpful

England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858 for Charles Milsom
    PROB 11: Will Registers 1763-1767 Piece 927: Legard, Quire Numbers 99-144 (1767)

Will transcribed by me 15 years ago ... apologies for spelling and gaps

This is the last will and testament of the City of Bath in the county of Somerset Gentleman on this 12th day November/December in the year of our lord 1766 make publish and declare this to be my last will and testament in manner and form

page2

following that is to say ??? I give bequeath and devise unto my ??? friends William Bill (Gentleman) and Lawrence Cottle Cordwainer and John Cottle Taylor all my ground or fees farm rents coming out of those pile of buildings raised or heron by the name of Edgars Buildings situated in the said city of bath in the parish of walcot and also all the ground or fees from rents joining out of the other buildings known by the name of Milsom Street in the said city of Bath and also all those my three messuages or tenements situate in George Street (late ???) and in Milsoms Street in the ?? possessions of Lady Londondald Mr Brinsdon and Mr Stevenson to hold to them their heirs executors and administrators upon the tents and for the purposes herein aforementioned that is to say in Trust in the first place out of the rents and profits to pay to my son George Milsom Four Hundred pounds for his own use and benefits and immordiarise after that sum is paid then in trust then to sell and dispose of the messuage or tenement in the possession of lady londondald in Milsom Street for the cost price or prices thereon or may be gotten for the same or as my said trustees and my wife Jane Milsom shall approve of and the money arising from such sale in trust to pay the same in discharge of my mortgage and bond debts and as for and routering said rents and profits of the aforementioned promises in trust to pay and apply the same in discharge of all the costs and other outgoings which shall be issuing and payable out of my said trusts and estates which costs and other outgoings to be paid and satisfied by my said wife until the said mortgage and bond debts shall be fully paid and discharged by my said trustees aforesaid then I give devise and bequeath the promises herein before by me particularly given to my said trustees and unto wife in a

Page 3

manner and form following that is to say item not and bequeath unto my said wife Jane Milsom and her ??? for so long time as she shall live the yearly sum of one hundred pounds clear of all reductions whatsoever and to be paid out of the aforesaid yearly fee farm rents issuing out of Edgar Buildings and Milsom Street and the overplus of rents and fee farm rents after paying the said one hundred pounds a year I give bequeath and devise for and equally among all my 5 children share and share alike and from immediately after my said wifes death I give and bequeath all those aforesaid ground rents to and equally amongst all my said children share and share alike and that in case any or either of my said children happen to dye without issue of their bodys lawfully begotten then and in such case I give and bequeath the share of him or them so dying to their survivors and survivor of them my said children and to and for none other than I give surount or purpose whatsoever from I give devise and bequeath to my Son Charles Milsom all that the aforesaid messuages or tenements garden and promises with the apportenantes siutate in George St in the possession of the said Mr Brinsdon and also all those my messuages Malthouse and Stables with all appointences thereunto belonging in or in any wise appertaining and which are ralled or known byt the name of the New Inn in the parish of Lyncombe and Widcombe in the county of Somerset and are now in the possession of William Brown tenant thereon and also all that my messuage garden and premises with them and every of their appointenances and which is situated lying and being in the Parish of Lyncombe and Widcombe and is now in the tenure of Kirlkland Lancashire as tenant thereof to hold to him the said Charles milsom and his assigns for and owing the term of his natural life and after his death then to the only use and behalf of the heirs of his body lawfully to be gotten and in default thereof to be equally divided amongst his brother and to the survivor of them and to the heirs executors and administrators of such survivors and to and for no other use trust and in front for purposes whatsoever to or they paying thereof the sum of one hundred pounds to their sister and sister in law stam I give devise and bequeth unto said Lawrence Cottle and John Cottle all that my said messuage or tenement with is appointenances situate in Milsom Street in the possession of Mr Stevenson and also all those my two messuages or tenement gardens and appointencanse also belonging situate in the parish of claverton and also all those messuages gardens and premises situate in Cottles Lane in the said parish of walcot to hold to them the said Lawrence cottle and John Cottle and the survivor of them and the heirs executors and administrators of such survivor to and shall pay the rents and profits from the said premises to my son Daniel Milsom during his natural life and from immediately after his death to pay the rents profits of the said premises to and equally amongst the children of said Daniel Milsom lawfully to be gotten and in case tho shall happen to dye without any child or children then I give bequeath and devise the aforesaid premises to and equally

Page 4

among my 2 sons charles and george milsom and to their heirs executors and administrators from I give deivse and bequeath to said son George Milsom his heirs executors and administrators and assigns all that my messuage and tenenment with its appointenances that I am now building situate in Milsom Street in the said city of Bath als I give devised and bequeath unto my said son George Milsom all those my seven freeholds messuages or tenements with appointenances situated in Broad Street in the said city of Bath and which I lately bought of anos Diner and said to hold to him the said Geroge Milsom and his assigns and during the term of his natural life and after his death then I two only use and behalf of the heirs of his body lawfully begotten and in default of to so equally divided amongst his brothers and to the survicors of them and to the heirs executors and administrors of such survivor and to and for none other use the trust and intent or purpose whatsoever he or they be paying thereout the sum of one hundred pounds each to their sister and sister in law item I give devise and bequeath unto sydnenium feast (teast) senior of the city of Bristol gentlemen all that my messuages and tenements garden and appointenances situate at Bathford in the said county of somerset and also that my messuage or tenement situate in the OldMarket in the city of Bristol to hold to him the said Sydenham Teast his heirs executors and administrators upon the trusts and purposes herinafter mentioned that is to say upon trust that he the said Sydenham Teast his heirs administrators and executors do and shall pay the rents and profits of the premises to my daughter Alice Wild during her natural life and from and immediately after her death to pay the rents and profits of the said premises unto her son Sydenham Teast Wild during his natural life and from and immediately after his death pay the rents and profits of the said premises to equally among the child or children of the said Sydenham Teast Wild lawfully gotten and so shall dye without any child or children then I give devise and beqauth the aforesaid premises to and amongst any children share and share alike and to their heirs executors and administrators item. I give to the said sydenham Teast Wild that my messuages tenements or with apppointances at the Cross Bath in the City of Bath to hold to him his heirs esecutors and administrators and assigns and I do hereby order my daughter Alice Wild to review and full state the said house whosoever a site shall happen to drop . I give devise and bequesth to my said trustees Lawrence Cottle and John Cottle all those my 3 messuages or tenements with the appointenances situate in Horse Street in the said city of Bath in the several possessions of Coss Whittaker and ? to hold to them their heirs executors and administrators and assisgns the survivor of them, their heirs executors and administatros and assisgns such survivor in trust that they the said Lawrence Cottle and John Cottle and the

Page 5

Survivor of them and the executors administrators and assigns such survivor do and shall permits and suffer my daughter Betty Barry to review and take the rents issues and profits of the said premises during her life she keeping them in good repair and full stating the same if it shall require and from or immediately after her deaththen in Trust for all and every child or children lawfully begotten to be equally divided between them sahre and share a likeand if but one child then to say any child and to the executors administrators and assigns of such only child and to and for no other use or purpose whatsoever. I give devise and bequeath unto my said wife Jane Milsom all those my 2 messuages or tenement gardens and appointencances hereunto belonging situate in Cottles Lane and known by the name of Darbyto hold to her and her assigns for and during her natural life and from and immediatel after her decease I give devise and bequeath the said premises unto my granddaughter Bonny (Fanny?) Barry her executors administrators and assigngs and it is my will meaning that what I have here in before given to my daughter Betty Barry and Alice Wild shall not be the subject to the control, debts or management of any present or future husband that they or either of them shall into marry with. I give and bequeath unto my said wife Jane and Son Charles all that my messuage or tenement garden and appointenances hereto belonging situate in Horse Street in the said city of Bath now in my possession to hold to them their heirs executors or administrators as tenants in common and not as joint tenants. I give devise and bequeath to my said son Charles and his heirs all my free hold land situate on the quay in or near the said city of bath and lastly I give devise and bequeath unto my said wife Jane Milsom all the rest and residue of my estates both real and personal of what aperture or find sover they be to hold to her or her heirs executors and administroatrs and assigns and do hereby reconisturte and appoit my said wife whosoever and said excutor of this my will hereby proofing and making void all former and other wills heretofore by me made and my will and meaning further is that it shall be lawfull to and for all my said trustees and the survivor of them and the heirs executors and administrators of such survivor by and out of the trust estates to reimburse and satisfy them and themselves all such costs charges damages and expenses whatsoever thich they or either or them shall or may pay bear sustatin be at or be put unto for or by reason on any amount of the several trusts hereby in them reposed or any thing relating herunto and that my said trustees or survivor of them his heirs executors or administraos shall not be answerable or amounts for the insufficiency of any tenant or tenants of the said trust estates nor shall they or either of them be answerable or accountable for any more moneys than her or they shall actually review nor shall the one of them be answerable or

Page 6

Accountable for the receipts or defaults of the other of them but oath for his own art receipt or default only. I give deivse and equeath unto my said son Charles Milsom all my stock in trade respecting the coopers business but no other stock in trade whatsoever in witness whereof the said Charles Milsom the Testator have to this my last will contained in these sheets of paper fixed together at the top to the two first sheets set my hand and to the last sheet my hand and seal the day and year in the is my will firs tmentioned. And my will further is that I give devise and bequeath unto the said William Bill, Lawrence Cottle and John Cottle and to my said wife heirs and assigns all my share an interest in queen square chappell in the said city of bath in trust to sell and dispose of the same for as much as be gotten for the same to pay the moneys arising from such sale in discharge of my mortgage and bond debts .

On re-reading this, I do not think therefore that my earlier comment regarding Mary Collings was correct. Charles' Will refers to his wife Jane only.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast