Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Beardsley family of Ilkeston - brick wall

Hello everyone
    This is my first post.
    My ggg grandfather Isaac Beardsley was born between 1792 and 1796 in Kirk Hallam or Ilkeston, Derbyshire (according to the censuses) but I can't find his exact birth details. He was a framesmith. He married Mary Dowman in 1824 and moved to Ockbrook where he became a beer seller at the White Swan. They had 11 children but three died early. I think that Isaac died in 1864 in Okbrook. My gg grandfather was his son Edward.
    I have been on Ancestry for a few months and am getting very confused with the hints and other people's trees. Some have him marrying an Elizabeth Jackson and some have him married to both Elizabeth and Mary! It appears that there are about 3 Isaac Beardsleys residing in this part of Derbyshire with different dates of birth and death. There is an Isaac Beardsley with a baptism in 1800 but that is unlikely if my Isaac was born in 1792 or 1796.
    I originally thought that Isaac's parents were John Beardsley and Anne Straw but now I have doubts. I can't find Isaac's siblings but there is a Richard Beardsley in Kirk Hallam who could be related.
    Does anyone have any clues?
    I have only been doing genealogy for a few months using my mother's research notes after she passed away.
    Thanks Chris

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Might be worth checking here.https://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/fs-eng.htm
    Disregard what others show until you have verified it yourself.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Do keep a note of the 1800 baptism. Not all people were baptised shortly after birth. My grandmother was 54. I found one man who claimed to be born in Devizes being baptised in London aged 16 in the early 1800s. The family name was so rare that we had no doubts. So, only disregard if there is good reason to do so. (I've been doing this for 40 years.)pwholt
    Last edited by pwholt; 21-08-2016 at 6:17 AM. Reason: additional thought

Reputation beyond repute

Have you tried tracking the 1800 baptism forwards and eliminating him through another marriage or death?

Ignore Ancestry hints and other people's trees.

It may be a good idea to hire in the original parish registers on microfilm through the Mormons and also you have what is reputed to be an excellent genealogical library in Blackburn.

Settling in

Thank you to the three generous people who replied to me today. I really like the archer software link as it has the records listed by towns. I am going to go with the 1800 baptism as I can't find any other Isaacs baptised in Kirkhallam or Ilkeston at this time.
    He is definitely not the Isaac Fleming Beardsley - that person was born in Derby and has a different family.
    Thanks again it was a really positive start on this forum!
    Chris ��

Reputation beyond repute

I am going to go with the 1800 baptism as I can't find any other Isaacs baptised in Kirkhallam or Ilkeston at this time.
    Sorry but you really shouldn't be doing that. Not being able to find another one that fits does not mean that you've got the right one.

I would suggest that you need to work through the original parish registers and also take into account a possible change of name. Note that the collection of original parish registers on FamilySearch does not seem to be complete*. I think you should check the parishes and dates available on FS. Also check the Mormon catalogue for appropriate microfilms that you can hire.

*Ilkeston does not seem to be included at all and for Kirk Hallam there are no baptisms before 1813.

On the 1800 baptism, did you see that an Isaac Beardsley was buried in Ilkeston on 13 April 1842 at the age of 42? Have you checked who this was?

An Isaac Beardly died Shardlow Reg. District, Dec Qtr 1864- before age at death begins to appear. Ockbrook falls within the Shardlow Reg. District.
    The death notice in the newspaper of an Isaac Beardsley, died 1 Dec 1864 at Ockbrook, has his age as 72.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

The death notice in the newspaper of an Isaac Beardsley, died 1 Dec 1864 at Ockbrook, has his age as 72.
    The PR is online at FS. The entry just reads Isaac Beardsley, Ockbrook, Dec 5 (1864), (age) 72.

janbooth

Chris,

The marriage of Isaac BEARDSLEY & Mary DOWMAN actually took place on 29 July 1823 at Ockbrook according to both Family Search & Findmypast, the witnesses being John DOWMAN & Mary SLATER.

What is likely to prove very relevant to you is the Lichfield Will of John BEARDSLEY of Ilkeston proved in 1818. The actual Will is available to view on Findmypast (a pay per view site) so I cannot give you full details because of their terms and conditions, but it does mention a brother Isaac BEARDSLEY, Framework Knitter of Ilkeston and the fact that their deceased father (mentioned by name) left a Will, which is also available to view online at FMP, it being proved in 1817.

I wonder if the family were non-conformist because I cannot find any baptisms for this Isaac and his siblings (of which there were at least 4). Will keep looking.

Janet

janbooth

Am now having second thoughts re the Isaac above being your Isaac because I have found an Isaac BEARDSLEY, aged 65, in the 1841 census of Ilkeston who is a Framework Knitter and tracing back the BEARDSLEYs mentioned in the two Wills above, they seem to have been mostly born in the 1770s & 1780s.

Given that your Isaac named one of his sons Edward, there is an Edward & Ann BEARDSLEY having 3 children baptised at Ilkeston Independent church in 1792, namely Betty, Edward & Jenny, the latter being born in 1792 the others earlier. But nowhere can I find the baptism of an Isaac in 1792 plus or minus 5 years.

Peter is correct with his statement in Post 6 that you definitely should not assume that the Isaac baptised in 1800 is your Isaac. He is much more likely to be the Isaac BEARDSLEY, married to a Millicent, who is in the 1841 census of Ilkeston aged 40 and who seems to disappear from the census records subsequently which would figure if he is the Isaac BEARDSLEY who died in 1842 as Peter has found.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast