Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Convicts of Mangles (6)

For a little while now I have been pursuing a project to investigate the lives of the convicts transported on Mangles (6) both before conviction and afterwards. I haven’t yet decided whether this will go anywhere or not, but I thought I could use this thread for a couple of purposes:

1. To ask for your invaluable help when I get stuck on particular points; and

2. To invite anyone who might have an interest in any of the convicts to contact me through this thread and we can exchange information.

I hope that is ok with the Mods, if it isn’t my apologies.

So my first question is about an occupation: Any suggestion about what an oil & colourman would have been?

Reputation beyond repute

The danger of finding things on the internet is that they can be downright wrong!

This is from the British Government publication A Dictionary of Occupational Terms, Ministry of Labour, London, 1921.

Oil & colour man, oilman; sells retail from shop or store, oils, paints, candles, hardware, brushes, cleaning materials etc.

From an 1871 advert
    To Oil and Colour Men and Others - Stock in Trade and Utensils of an Oil and Colour Man, comprising soap, candles, sauces, ketchup, brooms and brushes, and the usual items.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Search for Google books " Retail Trading in Britain 1850-1950"

see page 126
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

I have also decided to add anything to this thread that catches my eye in the course of my research. This is from the Shrewsbury Assizes in 1832:

Not so much the judgement, as that's fairly standard, but it was the twist of the in law connection that caught my eye.

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post

Not so much the judgement, as that's fairly standard, but it was the twist of the in law connection that caught my eye.
    I think back then "mother in law" meant "stepmother", rather than the mother of your spouse, as it does now?

Reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't a stepmother have the same surname?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Wouldn't a stepmother have the same surname?
    I think that she probably would have in this instance, unless it had got horribly confused, and she had remarried yet again. I don't think necessary in this instance to try and work out the detail of the relationship, as I was simply sharing something that I thought "wow", when I had first read it.

My apologies to those with Irish roots, but my knowledge of Irish history is limited and sparse, so:

I believe that what was known in the 19th century as King's County, Ireland is now County Offaly and that was known as Queen's County, Ireland is now County Laois. How likely is it that someone from either of those counties would get them confused? Or is more likely that their gaoler would get them confused?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast