Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Joseph Mottram and Hannah Capper were married 28 Dec 1819 Tarvin Cheshire, I cannot see a baptism for Henry 1823 to this couple

Starting to feel at home

I'm a big fan of geography and pin positions of relatives on maps for perspective. I appreciate the comment about the route home from Frodsham to Delamere.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

The area will probably be very much the same today as it was then, the forest fields on either side of the main roads, we probably call it green belt so it is unlikely housing estates will be built on it. Mainly farming with the odd community. Very rural the news item mentions the forest.

The most direct route Manchester - Chester is the road numbered A 556 Last town being Altrincham. Going via Frodsham suggest that he travelled home via Warrington....check google maps out if there is a man on the bottom right take him for a walk thru the forest!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Would have been more like 1825. Could you show me the link to where you're searching, please?
    I'm also wondering whether he may have been married before he was transported????

Brick wall demolition expert!

All the UK criminal records spell Henry's surname as MOTTERAM.

Findmypast has a totally different set of criminal records to those held by Ancestry.

In summary I can tell you that none of the records indicate anything about his family.

On 1 June 1849 the Home Office issued orders for his removal from Chester Castle to the House of Corrections in Wakefield, Yorkshire. Today Wakefield prison is one main high security gaols in the UK.
    He stayed there until 2 May 1850 when he was sent to the Convict Prison at Portland, which I believe was on the South Coast of England - sorry not to be more specific.
    He was shipped of to Western Australia on the 28 Dec 1850.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Megan.
    He is my GGG GF. My mum was Mottram. I'd love to know his history, it seems lost to the ravages of time, though.
    In Australia, he settled on Mottram for a surname, and probably had a much better life. He served three years or less before he got his ticket of freedom, had children with, and married Anna Maria Banyard, another elusive character!
    TIffany

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123