Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

There are a few public trees on ancestry which have a Henry Mottram born Cheshire 1825 marrying an Anne Marie Banyard 21 Jan 1870 at Trinity Congregational Church. Doesn't say where.
    Henry died 29 February 1892 at Canning Mill, Swan, Western Australia
    BUT the convict record they are using is one of a Henry Mottram arriving 1833 at van Deimen's land after being sentenced to life in Montgomery Wales. This would make him aged 8 when transported! Some of these trees have his parents some don't but all of them seem to be off beam with some of their info.

Another variation of spelling for the surname?
    Western Australia, convict records, 17 May 1851 for Henry Motheram - (the index image shows the 'h' written over with a 't')
    age 26, 5 ft 5 1/2 inches, hair-dark brown, eyes- blue, face - long and sallow , dark whiskers, no identifying marks, occupation miner, single.
    No indication of when he arrived or on which vessel

Christina

snap esmotteram and Alma
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Default American English

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    There's this marriage but nothing to prove it's your Henry.

Henry Mottram, 1870, Perth, Western Australia, and Ann Banyard.
    Well we have Ann we can chase! Nice. Name spelling is fun: I have found Mottram in UK are generally not related but I can see how the phonetic spelling occurs from speech. Motteram in the USA is usually spelled Motterman, Motterham, Motorman, depending on where you are.
    Last edited by esmotteram; 13-08-2016 at 9:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Another two records for this man dated 7 May 1851 and 15 May has his name as Motherham with no crossings out.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Spellings of course are only as good as what the scribe heard. My ancestor Hargreaves emigrated to the U.S and his name on census records and his U.S. descendants are/were known as Hargraves.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Another two records for this man dated 7 May 1851 and 15 May has his name as Motherham with no crossings out.

Christina
    I had an Aussie partner in Kenya that I enjoyed immensely. I always sort of imagined Oz as about half way between USA and UK!

the 1890 Motterams (that I think paid their own way) have a recent history (1920) in Western Oz, but they initially settled in south Queensland/Victoria area (1890-1920).

I am most interested in Henry in the UK (pre 1850). He seems to come out of no where and be attached to no one.

Chester area is a strong association that actually connects the "Welch Mariner" thread and many Edwards, Williams, Motterams, Parry in the transition from Birmingham to Barrow in that Liverpool/Wales connection.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by esmotteram View Post
    Also, that spelling usually denotes another unrelated group of people, but I've never seen our surname spelled the same in my life. Some get pretty creative. Spelling isn't very reliable in these searches. V good address info. what do you think "occpn M.S." indicates?

I'm also trying to track this individual in Australia. Thanx

Henry Mottram, prisoner, was my GGG grandfather. This Fremantle Prisons records shows varied names, but he settled on Mottram and married Anna Maria or Anne Banyard in 1870.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

HEnry arrived in 1851 on the Mermaid, Per my post a bit further down.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by esmotteram View Post
    So much success with this wonderful site I thought I would try this!

These may be the family "skeletons" that nobody wants to find, but it intrigues me (perversely)...and for the record.

I have already "smudged my copybook" with Aus relatives Suggesting this mode of travel paid by the Crown!

Our family (Motteram) appears in Birmingham, Staffordshire thru the 1800's. and then a migration to Barrow-in-Furness about 1865 (iron, steel, ship-building). There are many instances of marriages, etc that indicate a time in Liverpool and surrounds. About 1890 the family appeared to fragment from Barrow with two boys going to Australia, one daughter to S Africa, one son to the USA (my relative) and two remained in Barrow (UK).

The enigma is Henry Motteram.

I have no connection of him to any of our family, only this record:

Henry Motteram sentenced to 20 yrs transportation to Aus at Chester Crown Court 1850.
    He was one of 209 convicts on the ship Mermaid sailed on 30 Dec 1850. Arrived on 13 May 1851 at Swan River (Perth) Western Aus.

Is there any way to extract family information (lineage) from this record?
    Hi,
    He's my GGG grandfather. The convict record below shows a variation of surname, and him as being semi literate.
    I have Henry's parents as being Joseph Mottram and Hannah Capper.
    The story in the Chester Chronicle newspaper shows his name as Motteram, but the transportation registers show Mottram, along with his co felon, Henry Watson.

Starting to feel at home

Tiffanffg, G'day and thanx
    Unexpected and appreciated reply.
    More pieces of the puzzle. I don't recocognize parent names in our genealogy but I am vague about details of family at the time and place ( Chester 1840-1850).
    Down under, I have many relatives from WA, Perth, Swan but I believe they populated the area in the 1880-1890s. Many more on the east coast...
    In the U.K. I have never connected the families Mottram to families Motteram. Maybe just haven't gone deep enough.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

London Evening Standard ( on FMP)
    North Wales Circuit Spring Assizes 4 April 1849Henry Mottram aged 23 together with Henry Watson 18 & John Martin 15 committed Highway robbery at Delamere ( Cheshire)

23 December 1848 The trio assaulted and robbed a Mr Norton a farmer of Delamere who was on his way home form Manchester, taking 2 1/2 gold sovereigns and silver, personal papers & bills.

The trio were found guilty Motram & Watson to 20 years transportation , Mason to 10 years.

I am not quite sure why Norton would be in Frodsham on his way home form Manchester, it isn't the most direct route. Frodsham being about 6 miles from Delamere!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast