Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Lawrence Meara has gone into the Regimental Birth Indices as Lawrence MARA born 1853 Trinchinopoly

I assume that with Regimental Birth Indices volume and page numbers, a birth certificate can be obtained ???

Catherine's is Volume 1279 page 23 KAMPTEE India 1863 1st Royal Scots
    Lawrence's is Volume 1279 page 6 TRINCHINOPOLY India 1853 1st Royal Scots (MARA as I said before)

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    out of interest what became of Lawrence Meara ? I see him on the 1901 census at Henry Street, Church, Blackburn, boarding with other Mearas (mistranscribed O'Meara) - but what then ? is he the 1921 Hull death ?
    Thank you Wimsey. I am very sorry, I should have mentioned that the family name is "O'Meara" but the generation we are discussing used Meara. The girls of this generation were married as "Meara" but later mum Hannah was buried as O'Meara and her bachelor son Lawrence was buried as O'Meara in the same plot on 27 Aug 1921.His death was registered in Blackburn as Laurence O'Meara. He is on the 1911 census boarding with sister Lucy (Catherine) in Oswaldtwistle.

Thank you Janbooth this is very interesting and in view of all the other variations in the Meara (O'Meara) family's records I can quite accept it. I will look at the sites you mention.

I assume that with Regimental Birth Indices volume and page numbers, a birth certificate can be obtained ???

Catherine's is Volume 1279 page 23 KAMPTEE India 1863 1st Royal Scots
    Lawrence's is Volume 1279 page 6 TRINCHINOPOLY India 1853 1st Royal Scots (MARA as I said before)
    wimsey thank you for finding these. Could you please tell me the source you have used for the birth records. I found Mary Ellen and Mary Ann baptisms on F my P British India Office births and baptisms. I asked FmyP about obtaining the certificates and they said it was sometimes possible to trace military births abroad in our GRO records but this didn't work for me. Sue

Quote Originally Posted by susan67 View Post
    wimsey thank you for finding these. Could you please tell me the source you have used for the birth records. I found Mary Ellen and Mary Ann baptisms on F my P British India Office births and baptisms. I asked FmyP about obtaining the certificates and they said it was sometimes possible to trace military births abroad in our GRO records but this didn't work for me. Sue
    Those two are on FmyP - whether or not certificates can be obtained using that data I'm afraid I have no idea.

Just to repeat, Lawrence's is spelt MARA not MEARA in the index

I assume you are aware that Mary Ellen Meara married James Clegg in Blackburn in 1882

I don't quite see why we are so sure that Michael and Hannah married in India

Those two are on FmyP - whether or not certificates can be obtained using that data I'm afraid I have no idea.

Just to repeat, Lawrence's is spelt MARA not MEARA in the index

I assume you are aware that Mary Ellen Meara married James Clegg in Blackburn in 1882

I don't quite see why we are so sure that Michael and Hannah married in India
    Yes thanks wimsey I have that marriage. Sue

wimsey re the last point you make about Hannah and Michael marrying in India. I assumed that because Michael enlisted at age 18 (1842) and his army discharge papers suggest he had continuous service in India until 1869 that the marriage was in India. Hannah was aged about 20 when Lawrence was born. Plus I was unable to trace a marriage in UK and have limited access to Irish records.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi All!
    I'm wondering whatever came of this? I am also researching the Meara line and I am related through Catherine Lucy Meara (great-great grandmother). I have a copy of Catherine's overseas birth certificate that I obtained through the GRO and her mother is listed as "Anne". Her father is listed on the certificate as serving as a Private in the 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Infantry, which I believe was 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Foot (later The Royal Scots). Her baptism date is also listed and it was performed by J.B. Benistrand, who from my research was a catholic clergyman listed in the Madras Catholic Directory at the time. This makes sense as the Meara's and subsequent generations have all been catholics.
    Also...I searched the military records of FindMyPast and I have a theory about the connection to Hampshire. If I have the Correct Michael Meara military info, he receives the Indian Mutiny Medal with the Defence of Lucknow clasp for his service 1857-1859. His service number is listed as 2110 and serving in 84th Foot (York & Lancaster). Also on this documentation in the "notes" section it states "Ex 67th Foot, No. 1737. Transferred to 1st Foot". The 67th foot was 67th (South Hampshire) Regiment of Foot. My Theory is he enlisted in the 67th foot, transferred to the 84th and then ended his service in the 1st Foot. Therefore, maybe he was in the 64th at the time he met Anne/Annie/Hannah? It was mentioned that someone had his discharge papers? Can someone send me those??

Growing old Disgracefully

out of interest what became of Lawrence Meara ? I see him on the 1901 census at Henry Street, Church, Blackburn, boarding with other Mearas (mistranscribed O'Meara) - but what then ? is he the 1921 Hull death ?
    Lots of Irish put a O' in front of their Surname. As children we had Irish familys in the street and they had this O'Meara and O'Driscol so may be look at that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12