Thread: Adoption 1977

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Adoption 1977

I am trying to help someone and just want confirmation that if an original birth registration for the above year has written numbers after the name etc that this is an indication that person was adopted. The lady is trying to find out what happened to a relative born in 1977 she has her birth name which I have found in the birth indexes with a written number after it.

Reputation beyond repute

if an original birth registration for the above year has written numbers after the name etc that this is an indication that person was adopted
    It may do. It is most certainly not definitely an indicator of adoption. It may suggest adoption but may also refer to permitted changes to columns 4, 6 or 10.

You need to obtain the certificate. In the case of an adoption, it will be endorsed "Adopted" with the signature of the Superintendent Registrar in the right margin.

The form of the addition to the GRO index is also important. If it says "See...", it probably refers to a re-registration (not an adoption).

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hallo Peter

Thank you for your advice I will pass this information to the lady concerned. I was a little concerned as whilst I myself have a case in my own family of adoption on a birth certificate in the indexes there is no number. Jane