Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mathews, painter decorator, married 1851

My great Grandfather Henry Benjamin Mathews, was married to Anna Deborah Howard in March 1851, but I can't find him in the census of 1851. He lived at 7 Howland Street, which is off Tottenham Court Road. His father was also named Henry Benjamin, according to marriage certificate.
    Later he owned Percy street paint factory. No trace of this now, I suspect area rebuilt after WW11
    Anyone throw any light on this please?

The census was supposed to show the details of everyone sleeping at an address on census night. If he was (for example) away for work or something else, he'll be shown where he was staying - possibly a hotel... Where did they marry? Census night was 31 March...

His name's not especially rare, but if you tell us when and where he was born, that would help to find him...

7, Howland Street was uninhabited when the 1851 census was taken, did you get the address from the couples marriage cert?
    Alma

Famous for offering help & advice

could he be the Henry Mathews, 'master paper hanger', living with his uncle Mr Harcourt Howell (a journeyman painter) in Marylebone (1851 census) ? Born 1828

address on 1861 census 92 Euston Road

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    could he be the Henry Mathews, 'master paper hanger', living with his uncle Mr Harcourt Howell (a journeyman painter) in Marylebone (1851 census) ? Born 1828

address on 1861 census 92 Euston Road
    I looked at that one but dismissed it as he's described as unmarried. His marriage was 2nd Mar 1851, and census date 31st Mar. Wouldn't be the first and only time a mistake has been made on census though, perhaps try and find his wife Ann(e)
    Alma

Yes it did come from MC, and fathers name and occupation... that's when I've drawn a blank. I know of Harcourt Howell entry, but doesn't seem likely

Reputation beyond repute

I notice that the marriage was "by registrar's certificate" which is interesting. I wonder if we can read anything into that.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I have a similar situation where a couple married before the census but appear separately and as unmarried on the census. I put it down to the possibility that one of them, probably the bride, had employment which would be terminated when the employers learned of her marriage. They may have felt they could "get away with it" at least until a pregnancy forced them to reveal the marriage. In the early stages of marriage, money is always in short supply, and a few months wages would make quite a difference. pwholt

janbooth

It could perhaps be your Henry Benjamin MATHEWS that Wimsey found for you in post 4 as Harcourt HOWELL married Mary Ann MATHEWS on 9 February 1834 at St Martin in the Fields. Also, Harcourt HOWEL & wife Mary are living at Howland Street in the 1841 census (HO107/686/6, folio 4, page 2) together with Henry MATHEWS aged 12 - unfortunately no street numbers shown on the 1841.

However, at the moment I am not having a lot of luck finding any baptisms for a Henry Benjamin MAT(T)HEWS either senior or junior!

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

you will have seen the 14 December 1828 St Pancras baptism of Henry Benjamin Matthews, parents Matthew Matthews and Mary Ann ?

sorry, that's not helping

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast