Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    janbooth

Trying to trace the Mary Ann MATHEWS who married Harcourt HOWELL, he died in Dedham Essex in 1875 and did leave a Will. His Executor was wife Mary Ann but I wonder if he mentioned his nephew in the Will?? Mary Ann HOWELL is living in Dedham in the 1881 census and is shown as aged 75 born in Shoreditch. Looking at Ancestry's Select baptisms, there is one for a Mary Ann MATHEWS (born 14 Nov 1806) on 7 December 1806 at St James, Westminster, daughter of Benjamin MATHEWS. Various other siblings, one of whom is a Benjamin MATHEWS (born May 1801) and baptised 28 October 1801. However, they are all transcriptions and perhaps very speculative at the moment!!

Janet

Yes, I have seen this entry, and my GG was born in 1828, but his marriage certificate says father is Henry Benjamin Mathews, unless that was a mistake by the registrar. A very fundamental mistake if it was.

How do you know this? It is stated as " residence at time of marriage", so if you what you say is correct, they weren't there at time of census March 31st. I had assumed he was living at home with parents, but maybe he wasn't.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by ukeman71 View Post
    Yes, I have seen this entry, and my GG was born in 1828, but his marriage certificate says father is Henry Benjamin Mathews, unless that was a mistake by the registrar. A very fundamental mistake if it was.
    quite so.

Looking through my records again, I found I had entry for 1851 census, which was after his marriage March 2nd that year, saying he is with Harcourt Howell and Mary Howell.... interesting

the Henry Mathews born c.1854, with his parents and siblings on the 1871 census at Percy Street (where you said the paint factory was), is missing from the 1861 census when his parents and sister Ann Maria (born West Ham, Essex) are at 92 Euston Road

personally I would take this to be the Henry H Mathews born c.1855 on the 1861 census as a visitor with Harcourt & Mary Ann Howell at 6 East Street, St Marylebone

personally I would take this to be the Henry H Mathews born c.1855 on the 1861 census as a visitor with Harcourt & Mary Ann Howell at 6 East Street, St Marylebone
    Me too!
    Alma

my GG Henry B Mathews was born 1828, married 1851 to Ann(a) in 1861 census is living at 92 Euston Rd, then moved to 14 Percy Street. It's his father, who on MC has same name who I can't trace. Assuming Henry living with his uncle Harcourt Howell is correct (his age is right and the area) how did he get there? 1831 census, is dodgy I think?

janbooth

I do not know if the Henry MATHEWS in the 1841 census living with Harcourt HOWELL & wife Mary nee MATHEWS is your Henry Benjamin, but given that they were living in Howland Street and he is shown as aged 12, I thought it was worth further investigation on your part. However, a word of warning, please do not take what is written on marriage records, either certificates or parish registers, as necessarily true, as quite a few prove to be incorrect. I have found on numerous occasions, both in my own research and in research for others, that what is shown, on either a marriage certificate or a marriage record in the parish registers, is incorrect and in some cases deliberately misleading.

I don't know if anybody else has been more successful, but I have certainly been unable to find a Henry Benjamin MAT(T)HEW(S), either senior or junior, in census records prior to the marriage record of your Henry Benjamin.

Janet

a couple of times yesterday I started to post then changed my mind, to mention something out of my family tree. An illegitimate man, on his marriage certificate gave a false father's name, which happened to be the same as his own (not very original !). This was 1890, I don't know what the social conditions were like at the time, or even the law - was there some pressure not to leave the father's name entry blank ?

Not that I'm suggesting anything like that is going on with Mathews. I'm a complete novice in these matters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast