Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ziksby

Default Only Kezia and her daughter

I could only find Kezia and her daughter Sarah ......

KEYS, Keziah <1844>
    Note: BMR, p. 99
    KEYS, Sarah <1869>
    Note: "Daughter" (EECI). "Infant" (BMR)

They sailed on the Manhattan from Liverpool ....

Ship: Manhattan
    Date of Departure: 22 Sep 1869 Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
    LDS Immigrants: 242 Church Leader: Joseph Lawson
    Date of Arrival: 7 Oct 1869 Port of Arrival: New York, New York
    Source(s): BMR, Book #1041, pp. 95-104 (FHL #025,692); Customs #1156 (FHL #175,675)
    Notes: "DEPARTURE OF THE MANHATTAN. -- The steamship Manhattan, Captain Forsyth, left this port on the 22nd for New York, with 242 souls of the Saints on board, including the following elders returning from missions in this country: -- Joseph Lawson, Robert Dye, and Alonzo E. Hyde. Elder Lawson is in charge of the company. We trust they will have a pleasant and prosperous journey across the ocean and to the mountains."
    <MS, 31:39 (Sep. 25, 1869), p.630>
    "Wed. 22 [Sep. 1869] . . . The steamship Manhattan sailed from Liverpool, England, with 239 Saints, in charge of Joseph Lawson. The company arrived at New York Oct. 7th, and at Ogden Oct. 16th"
    <CC, p.81>

Let me know if you need more info ....
    Last edited by ziksby; 19-11-2004 at 1:02 AM.

ziksby

Default Just found Tryphosa

KEYS, Tryphosa <1847> Caroline 1866

Ship: Caroline
    Date of Departure: 5 May 1866 Port of Departure: London, England
    LDS Immigrants: 389 Church Leader: Samuel H. Hill
    Date of Arrival: 11 Jun 1866 Port of Arrival: New York, New York
    Source(s): BMR, Book #1048, pp.232-48 (FHL #025,692)
    Notes: "On the 5th instant, from London, the ship Caroline was cleared by the government officers, having on board 34 Swiss, 17 Hollanders, and 286 English, making a total of 337 American adult passengers, and they sailed with every prospect of a pleasant voyage. The officers, so far as we had opportunity of judging, were gentlemanly, and in a faithful discharge of duty, equal to the best that sail from these ports; and the vessel itself being 8 1/2 feet between decks, and possessing many other conveniences and comforts which the people seemed greatly to appreciate. The provisions, as usual, were selected with care, and a due regard to the health and comfort of the passengers. But what struck us as of far greater importance than these things, was that the people were inspired with the spirit of confidence in their God. One and all looked on the trials and dangers of a sea voyage with unflinching courage, having an assurance that God was their friend, and that his hand would guide them over the trackless deep safe to the promised land of Joseph. . . ."
    <MS, 28:20 (May 19, 1866) p.313>
    ". . .The ship Caroline, which cleared from London on the 5th of May, met with westerly winds which detained her in the channel nearly a week, but after that time she got away nicely. Those winds which were unfavorable to her, brought the vessel -- we were expecting to, and did charter, to sail from this port on the 30th ultimo, -- From New York harbor to this port in eighteen days. . . ."
    <MS, 31:22 (June 2, 1866), p.345>
    "Sat. 5. [May 1866] . . . The ship Caroli feet between decks, and possessing many other conveniences and comforts which the people seemed greatly to appreciate. The provisions, as usual, were selected with care, and a due regard to the health and comfort of the passengers. But what struck us as of far greater importance than these things, was that the people were inspired with the spirit of confidence in their God. One and all looked on the trials and dangers of a sea voyage with unflinching courage, having an assurance that God was their friend, and that his hand would guide them over the trackless deep safe to the promised land of Joseph. . . ."
    <MS, 28:20 (May 19, 1866) p.313>
    ". . .The ship Caroline, which cleared from London on the 5th of May, met with westerly winds which detained her in the channel nearly a week, but after that time she got away nicely. Those winds which were unfavorable to her, brought the vessel -- we were expecting to, and did charter, to sail from this port on the 30th ultimo, -- From New York harbor to this port in eighteen days. . . ."
    <MS, 31:22 (June 2, 1866), p.345>
    "Sat. 5. [May 1866] . . . The ship Caroline sailed from London, England, with 389 Saints, under the presidency of Samuel H. Hill. It arrived at New York June 11th, and the company continued the journey by steamboats and railroad to Wyoming."

Will look again for Tryphena

ziksby

Default Did Tryphena actually go to the States?

I see she married Daniel Coppen in 1871 in Danbury,Essex, and died 1913.
    Or did she go and return?

Brenda from Essex

Default Mormon Immigration Index

Hullo Ziksky,

Thank you so much for the information.I just couldn't believe anyone would go all the way to Utah and then return to England as I had read accounts of what dreadful journeys people had but it seems that the Mormons really prepared well and looked after the people. I can now believe that she may have gone and then returned to England as she would have travelled with the Elders.Tryphosa was her twin sister and it is hard to believe she would have left her in Utah.Did you notice if there were any other Keys travelling with Tryphosa. One thing I have noticed but don't know if this is general, that the forenames were often reversed in this family.

As you say she married in Essex. She had seven children one of them being my Grandfather.

Thank you again for your help - I have found it really interesting.

Brenda from Essex

ziksby

Default Further research ....

Hi Brenda

I was intrigued by this "return" from Utah to England. I checked a little further and am still puzzled. Are you sure she went to Utah?
    Her sister Tryphosa definitely stayed in Utah and married. She died in 1929. When her mother died, her father also went to Utah and died in 1878.
    I'm not sure how much you know, but I've found a few records on the internet.
    Do you want me to send what I've found?

Brenda from Essex

Default Mormon Immigration Index

Hi Ziksby,

Thank you for speedy reply! I researched the Coppen tree several years ago but found this on the ' net ' more recently and it has made me curious to know more.Paragraphs are from various parts of article but indicate Tryphena did go to Utah. Otherwise did they mean Tryphosa and not Tryphena - although they mention Kezia's three sisters and that would include Tryphena.

Kezia was the daughter of Joseph and Mary Ann Rushen Keys and was born 16th April 1844 in Danbury, Essex, England. She was baptized in England by her father into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1856. Kezia's mother died in England with cancer of the tongue, Kezia was seventeen years old at the time and her family of three sisters and her father decided to emigrate to Utah.

Her sister, Tryphena, became desirous of gathering with the Saints of Utah, and Kezia advanced three pounds ($15.00) towards her passage. Two or three years later the money was returned to her and she emigrated to Utah in the year 1866. A rough voyage lasting eleven days was made in the ship `Manhattern' in charge of Brother Warren N. Dusenberry. The first year after her arrival in the valley, she made her home with her sisters who had preceded her to Utah.

Kezia's three sisters left England first, then Kezia, who traveled with Warren N. Dusenbury on the ship Manhattan, her father following later. For the first year Kezia arrived in Utah, she made her home with her sisters

Now you can see why I am confused!

Brenda from Essex

ziksby

Hi Brenda

I found the Durrant site you referred to ... most interesting ... that's where I noticed Kezia was living with William's sister-in-law.(Ann)

Did you know? ..... Ann was the first Keys daughter to emigrate (Ann Rushen Keys) following her marraige to William Paxman. She gave birth on board the Horizon....

Thurs. 12: Wet foggy morning. Porpoise seen. Mustard, pepper, salt, vinegar, tea and double ration of potatoes served out. Disturbance and fight in the cookhouse, in consequence of Brother Green pushing past the guards. He kicked Brother Franklin severely. Cold. I was weak today. My daughter, Flora, very much relaxed for the last two days. Sister Ann Paxman, wife of William Paxman, of London Conference, gave birth to a male child, named William Horizon, at 1 a.m. The sisters busy making tents. Learned that there were several cases of measles on board. Had a fellowship meeting in our ward.

More if I find it ...

ziksby

Default Forgot the ship details ....

William and Ann Paxman

Ship: Horizon
    Date of Departure: 25 May 1856 Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
    LDS Immigrants: 856 Church Leader: Edward Martin
    Date of Arrival: 30 Jun 1856 Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachussettes
    Source(s): BMR, pp. 151-188 (FHL #025,691)
    Notes: "DEPARTURES. -- The Ship Horizon, Captain Reed, sailed from Liverpool for Boston, May 25, 1856, with 856 souls of the Saints on board, under the presidency of Elders Edward Martin, Jesse Haven, and George P. Waugh. The following Elders who have held responsible positions in this country, also sailed on this ship -- Elders T. B. Broderick and John Toone from Utah -- the latter retires from his labors on account of ill health -- John Jaques, Robert Holt, Thomas Ord, James Stones, Henry Squires, and Robert Evans were presidents of conferences. . . ."
    <MS, 18:24 (June 14, 1856), p.377>

AndyC

Default Mormon Emigration

I've been trying to find some information on Phoebe Clark (sometimes spelled Phebe) who I know emigrated to Utah during the mid 1800's. I read your fantastically generous offer to check the LDS indec CD for anyone with a question and wondered if you'd help me out please?

Phoebe Clark was born in 1830 in Hampshire and married Phineas Howe Young (brother of the famous Brigham Young) in 1853/4 (not sure which year yet) so, I guess she would have sailed any time after 1848 (when she was 18?), up until 1853.

I'd love to find how more about how she made her way to the States and when the trip was taken (I'd love even more to know why (did she go to marry or go and then marry?), but that might remain a dim and distant memory never to be unearthed). I understand that the mormon church did some 'tours' of the UK; maybe Phoebe was recruited by Phineas himself.

If you can help in anyway I would be most grateful.

Thank you very much and kind regards

Andy Clark

ziksby

Default YES .... You are in luck

Hi Andy
    Phebe Clark is listed as a passenger travelling alone from Portsmouth ......
    Ship: Ellen Maria
    Date of Departure: 17 Jan 1853 Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
    LDS Immigrants: 332 Church Leader: Moses Clawson
    Date of Arrival: 6 Mar 1853 Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana
    Source(s): BMR, Book #1044 (FHL #025,690); Customs #61 (FHL #200,173)
    Notes: "DEPARTURES. . . . The Ellen Maria sailed on the 17th of January, having been detained in port several days by contrary winds. We shipped 332 souls on board of her, under the presidency of Elder Moses Clawson. Amongst the number were Elder Thomas Pugh, late counsellor to the president of the Church in Wales; and Elder George Kendal, late president of the Derbyshire Conference. These three brethren have labored faithfully in these lands, and depart from these shores with our blessing upon them; and we pray that they with the whole company of Saints may be safely wafted to their desired haven."

There are lots of accounts from other passengers about the voyage, which I can send to you direct if you want them. Phineas Young is not on board.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast