Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Agnes Elizabeth Page Mew IOW

I retired in 2011 and I am looking for information about my father’s mother. I think she was born Agnes Elizabeth Page Mew 24th March 1887 on the Isle of Wight. Her birth certificate shows her mother as Elizabeth Mew formerly Young, no father was listed.
    I think she may have been ‘adopted’ by John Chalmers and his wife Elizabeth Page. Does anyone have any links to these families please?

Hallo John, and a warm welcome to BG. As you have a definite query I have moved your post from Introduce Yourself to the Isle of Wight forum.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Growing old Disgracefully

Could Elizabeth have been a widow when she had Agnes as I have found a marriage

Marriages Jun 1873

James Henry Mew. I. Wight. Vol no 2b. Page no 901.
    on the same page is
    Elizabeth Young. Isle of Wight. Vol no 2b. Page no 901.

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by jthomo View Post
    I retired in 2011 and I am looking for information about my father’s mother. I think she was born Agnes Elizabeth Page Mew 24th March 1887 on the Isle of Wight. Her birth certificate shows her mother as Elizabeth Mew formerly Young, no father was listed.
    I think she may have been ‘adopted’ by John Chalmers and his wife Elizabeth Page. Does anyone have any links to these families please?

Have you found her on any Census with the other family of Chalmers

thewideeyedowl

Default IWFHS: free databases

MEW is quite a common name on the Island and one branch was a brewing family ("Mews", based in Crocker Street, Newport).

A quick look at the BMD pages show that the birth of Agnes Elizabeth Page MEW, mmn YOUNG, was registered in the Cowes sub-district in 1887: https://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/bmd/startbmd.html (You already know this if you have the Birth certificate.) The father's name may have been left blank because he had died before the birth of his child OR he was not married to the mother OR...other reasons, too. (You might like to search for an old thread of mine entitled something like: 'No father's name on birth certificate', which also relates to an IW birth. Lots and lots of suggestions were put forward.)

On the IW Marriage pages, I can see that an Agnes Elizabeth MEW married Percy Charles VESSEY at Ryde in 1915, and Frank Chiverton at Swanmore in 1931: https://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/b...&Search=Search. Haven't searched further on the site.

Must swoop off.

Owl

James Henry Mew, baptised 1847, IOW, parents: James and Ann

1851 census in Patfield Arreton IOW with grandparents Henry Mew (1796) and Frances (1795)

At the marriage mentioned by Sandy #3 his father is named James; Elizabeth's father is John Young, they married in Cowes
    Alma

1871 JHM age 23, is a servant (coachman) Northwood IOW
    RG10; Piece 1160; Folio 44; Page 19

A James H Mew born 1847 died 4th qrt 1947, registered IOW.
    Alma

We need to find what happened to James Henry Mew after his marriage in 1873.

Elizabeth 27yrs , his wife, is with her mother Elizabeth Young 63yrs in 1881 and a son Albert age 1.
    Northwood IOW. RG11; Piece: 1173; Folio: 15; Page: 23

1891, Elizabeth, Albert George and a dau Florence age 1yr, but no husband. RG12; Piece: 885; Folio: 90; Page: 4;

1901, Elizabeth andd Florence, no husband. RG13; Piece: 1018; Folio: 13; Page: 17

Elizabeth is described a married on all above census returns
    Alma

Hi
    just to say I have changed the title of this thread to Agnes Elizabeth Page Mew IOW as it is definitely now a research project.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I think she was born Agnes Elizabeth Page Mew 24th March 1887 on the Isle of Wight. Her birth certificate shows her mother as Elizabeth Mew formerly Young, no father was listed.
    Her birth is indexed as NEW - June qrt 1887.
    New Agnes Elizabeth P I. Wight 2b 696

Have you found her on census returns, if so please give the references.
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast