John Gage

Default Solomon Coupland of Withern

Hi there Lincolnshire subscribers. I'm trying to discover the parents of Solomon Coupland, who is given alternately to have been born in 1781 and 1782 at Uttoft (Huttoft). possibly Bap. Dec 1781.He married 1808 at Withern. Dinah Humberstone and he was bur. at Withern in 1851. His ekdest son was named John, which may be an indication of his fathers name. His eldest daughter was named Mary which again may have been after his mother. There is a family tree on Ancestry for the Couplands of Huttoft, but as I am no longer a subscriber I cannot access it. I am interested in this family because I am doubly descended from it and have many other connections io it. My connection, here, is through the Bilsby branch, which is an early offshoot of the Huttoft branch.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    John Gage
    Last edited by John Gage; 04-08-2016 at 8:09 AM. Reason: Wjthern should read Withern

janbooth

John,

Lincs to the Past website has the actual parish registers of Huttoft available to view and although there are a couple of COUPLAND families having children, I cannot find the baptism of Solomon there between 1775 and 1786. Of course I may have missed him, so perhaps you can visit the site and check for yourself. The family tree on Ancestry shows his parents to be William & Sarah COUPLAND but no details as to how the owner of the Tree reached this conclusion! The Tree also mentions baptisms of siblings to Solomon being variously baptised at either Trusthorpe (William on 12 September 1782) or Huttoft ( Joseph baptised 1 March 1784, which I cannot find) and a Charlotte (no place of baptism but born c1772). Nor can I find the supposed death of mother Sarah COUPLAND in 1839 at Huttoft in the parish register. So, I am not sure how accurate this Tree will turn out to be..

I have looked at the marriage record entry at Withern hoping that there might be witnesses that were relatives but the witness names do not appear to be connected. According to his burial entry in the parish register, Solomon COUPLAND was buried on 21 December 1851, aged 70 years which would give a birthdate of c1781.

Sorry, none of this seems to be of much help to you I'm afraid.

Janet

John Gage

Hi Janet,
    Thanks very much for your input. Like you I have found the so called Joseph connection, which as far as I'm concerned is incorrect. Roots WEB gives this Joseph and states he was a brother of Solomon, but without any evidence. Again like you my first port of call was Lincs to the Past and as you found there is no baptism for Solomon. I have already stated that my gut feeling is that his parents may have been a John and Mary, basically because his 1st, child, a son, was called John and his 2nd, child, a daughter, was called Mary. As you may have discovered there is a John and Mary with children baptised at this time at Huttoft, as we have both discovered, no Solomon.
    So I am back to square one, appart from the fact that you have more or less confirmrd that there is no point in trying to contact Ancestry subscrbers as their version(s) are probably incorrect.
    The irritating thing is that I have traced Solomons wifes ancestry back 3 generations.
    Thankyou anyway for trying.
    Best regards
    John

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi John,

Is it possible that Solomon was not born COUPLAND?

Using FamilySearch, I looked for any Solomon (no surname) born Huttoft between 1775 and 1790:

Solomon STEPHENSON christened 17 Feb 1780 at Huttoft to Thomas STEPHENSON and Mary.

The search actually gives 76 results. My geographical knowledge of Lincolnshire is all but non-existent, so I wouldn't know if any of the others are local to Huttoft. Some of those results will be duplicated, so it shouldn't take long to check through them.

Peter

Reputation beyond repute

Solomon STEPHENSON christened 17 Feb 1780 at Huttoft to Thomas STEPHENSON and Mary.
    You're right in principle - if you can't find someone, suspect a change of name.

But unfortunately in this case, a Solomon Stephenson was buried on 27 February 1780 together with Phoebe Stephenson, the children of Thomas Stephenson (confusingly, the parish register has son and daughter entered against the wrong names).

FMP has the transcription of a Lincolnshire Bastardy Bond -

Mother - Susannah Coupland
    Father - Matthew Fidlin of Bumby Chapel, labourer
    Year - 1777
    Parish - Hannah cum Hagnaby

However, the child is not named.

Hannah cum Hagnaby and Mumby just south of Withern?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

John Gage

Hi helachau,
    The child was named Matthew and he was bap. at Hannah cum Hagnaby 9 April 1778, he was as you rightly said, illegitimate. (Family Search & Lincs to the Past)
    Thanks anyway, I shall keep looking.
    Regards,
    John

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    But unfortunately in this case, a Solomon Stephenson was buried on 27 February 1780 together with Phoebe Stephenson, the children of Thomas Stephenson (confusingly, the parish register has son and daughter entered against the wrong names).
    Thanks Peter.

My apologies John, I should have checked further before posting!

Peter