Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Carter Family Bio from Northern Cornwall

I have a family biography of my Carter ancestors. It’s only a small portion of my family history, but the biography is nevertheless fascinating. It covers part of the Carter family living in Padstow. I have starred some points of interest where I need help.

What I know:
    Thomas Carter was born 15 June 1769 (Parents Thomas and Eliz(*)) from Minster Boscastle married Susannah Baron Billing (parents Samuel and Elizabeth) from Port Issac 8 Aug 1793 at St. Endellion. They had 10 children: William Baron(**), Pascoe, Samuel, Thomas(***), Ann, John, Susan, Eliza, Burnard(****), and Henry.

Questions, comments, and things to confirm:

(*) Has anyone gone further back into the Carter line? Looking at the OPC database Thomas and Elizabeth possibly had 9 children : Thomas, Philip, John, Anne, Philip, Elizabeth, Elizth, Joseph, and Mary. Am I on the right track?

(**) William Baron Carter, Master Mariner, married Maria Langdon. From research, they had a daughter Sarah who married a Moses Sloggett who had a daughter Ellen. I am fairly certain that Ellen Sloggett (aka the North Cornwall author Enys Tregarthen) is the granddaughter of William Barron Carter. Has anyone been working on this line and can confirm this? I am not a direct descendant, but am interested because her books are still available to read and she may be a very distant cousin.

(***) Thomas Carter b 1799, the Shipbuilder of Padstow, had three daughters Mary (Wilson), Georgianna (Old), and Ann (Carter) <—- my 3x great grandmother. If anyone working on this line is interested I have more information.

(***) The family biography says that Burnard was a Wesleyan Minister, but I can not internet available evidence of this. Bernard died at sea and was brought home for burial. I can not find evidence of his death. He was a Master Mariner, Captain, and part owner of an unknown sailing vessel. The unknown part owner somehow took everything leaving Burnard’s wife with nothing and three children to raise Eliza (Toppperwell), Philo (Walker), and John Slade Carter <—- my 3x great grandfather

References:
    Brit Gen Forum: Thread: McCracken - Carter families 09-01-2006
    www.cornwall-opc-database.org/
    FamilySearch.org
    “THE HISTORY OF PORT ISAAC AND PORT QUIN” by Dr. Frederick Trevan. 1833-34
    Communication with the Padstow Museum (regarding Ellen Sloggett)

janbooth

Marriage at Minster, Cornwall, on 26 December 1768 of a Thomas CARTER & an Elizabeth BROAD (source both Ancestry & FindmyPast Cornwall Marriages). Another possible child for Thomas & Elizabeth is a Philip CARTER baptised 18 February 1772 at Minster.

Possible burial for Thomas CARTER at Minster in 1820 (FindmyPast) & possible baptism for Thomas CARTER son of Thomas CARTER at Minster on 8 June 1746.

Janet

janbooth

Apparently Burnard CARTER, Mariner, of Mylor left a Will which was probated in 1849, administration granted to his relict Phillippa. He was buried in 1845 at Mylor church.

Newspaper report in the Canterbury Journal dated 19 April 1845 which states that Bernard CARTER died on board the schooner "Elizabeth" from Rotterdam. It doesn't state when or how he died, but that he had long been in impaired health and a verdict of death by natural causes was returned. Another article in the Glasgow Herald states that Bernard CARTER, part owner and master of the schooner Elizabeth from Padstow, died on 14 April 1845, on passage of Rotterdam to Plymouth.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Janet, Thomas having a brother Philip does make sense.. There is a christening date for each of them in the OPC database and there is also a mention of Philip Carter having a brother Thomas in the book "The History of Port Isaac and Port Quin. At leat I know there are two for sure. Elizabeth Broad is also the mother I was thinking of also based on what I found. Thank you for your second opinion.

Heather (Musheron)

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

My family biography does say Burnard was ill, but not for how long. Also, you clarified to me that Burnard''s wife is Philippa Slade. That''s what I was also thinking while researching, but it said in the family biography that it was Elizabeth Slade. Perhaps ship and wife confusion? I've been trying to find out more about Burnard for months, but I have found that his name has been spelled many ways. Thanks again for giving me another piece of the puzzle.

Enys Tregarthen

Baptism - 19 Oct 1828, Lavinia, dau of William Carter, mariner and Maria, parish of St. Columb Minor, residence Newquay itp (source OPC)

Marriage - Lavinia Carter, father William, master mariner to Charles Rawle, sailor 25 Jan 1848 (source OPC)

1871 Census (RG10 2253 19 30)
    Lavinia Rawle, Head, Mar, 43, Master Mariner's wife

Amongst the household
    Maria Carter, mother, wid, 75, Master Mariner's widow
    Sarah Sloggett, Sister, wid, 45, Mariner's widow
    Ellen Sloggett, Niece, Unm, 20, born Padstow
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

janbooth

Just to confirm Burnard's wife:

Marriage at Mylor on 5 January 1832 between Burnard CARTER & Philippa SLADE.

This looks like Philippa CARTER in the 1841 census of Mylor (HO107/138/10, folio 50, page 20):

Philippa CARTER 35
    Eliza do 8
    Pricilla do 7
    John S do 3

All born in the county.

Eliza Jane CARTER baptised 3 June 1833
    Priscilla Slade CARTER baptised 24 August 1834
    John Slade CARTER baptised 29 April 1839

Philippa CARTER is living at Mylor Bridge in the 1851 census of Mylor, shown as a widowed Grocer together with children Eliza J, John S & Philippa. Daughter Philippa born 28 February 1842 and baptised at Mylor on 11 February 1849.

You probably already have this information, but in case not .....

Janet

Barnbarroch

Default Rev. John Carter of Sibton, Suffolk

The Rev. John was the son of Thomas Carter of Boscastle (Gent.), so very likely a cousin of Thomas who married Elizabeth. He was my 6G great grandfather, I don't know how he came to end up so far from home - where he died in about 1749.

The will of a Thomas Carter senior of Botreauxcastle who died in 1691 is available from the Cornwall Records Office - I've ordered a copy..

Good luck to all in your researches,
    Jamie.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, My name is Derek Davies, I am 60 years old and Originally from Swansea but now live in Port Talbot. I recently did a DNA test and it seems I am related to Nellie Sloggett. According to my family tree she is or was my 1st cousin 3x removed.My 3rd Great Grandfather was William Barron Carter. I found the link which is on my Dads side through my Grandmother Beatrice Catherine Carter 1914- 1974.Her father my Great Grandfather Richard Carter born 1857 came across to Swansea to work as a Stevedore at Swansea Dock. He settled down and married Agnes Wynn.
    I found the link by chance. I know little about Nellie, but I am keen to know more ? She I believe was famous to The Cornish area with her children’s books on Pixies.
    I suppose it would be like the late Dylan Thomas being well known in the Swansea area through his poetry work.
    I myself am a keen amateur poet and songwriter. It seems writing must be in the family?
    I only just scratched the surface on Nellie do to speak, if you could give me more information on Nellie and her work, also any photos of her etc that would be fantastic.

Derek,
    A very warm welcome to Brit-gen from Swansea. But I'm not a "Jack" (originally Bridgend). Memories of the trips in the 50s to Mumbles/Langland and the delay/hold up in Port Talbot when the level crossing was in the centre of town!!

Have you seen https://mazedtales.org/content/nellie-sloggett-1850-1923
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast