Knowledgeable and helpful

Default In Plain English

Is there someone out there with a bit of experience/legal training who would be prepared to put a Will in to plain English so I can be clear what might have been going on in rather complicated domestic/financial arrangements?

I have been researching various people who built and owned the house my husband and his siblings grew up in. My mother-in-law wrote a document telling what she knew about it.

The land was sold/bought (1911 and 1919) and a house was built by a Horatio Hall who claimed to be a relative of Admiral Lord Nelson. He named the house 'Trafalgar'. Mother-in-law said that when he died (1920's) the woman he was living with turned out not to be his wife but a local woman. The wife then turned up. Scandal! I have researched and found that Horatio was related to Admiral Nelson. I have tracked his life, marriage etc. I have now got his Will and he does mention his wife (Charlotte) and other people. He leaves an income to his wife and also to Esther Williams "commonly known as Mrs. Horatio Hall".

The Will is four pages of large, clear handwriting and although I can read it all it gets very 'wordy' when dealing with what happens in the event of Esther's death, Charlotte's death, death of his brother (Executor), and what seems to be a couple of nieces. There is no puntuation and, I think, a lot of repetition but I'm no expert!

Some other information here https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...ght=Hugh+Hoare
    Last edited by AudreyF; 21-07-2016 at 7:30 AM. Reason: Adding link to another thread

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

In quite a lot of my old Wills, there was no punctuation either. It read, almost like one long sentence. I have been told, that this is because it was to avoid anyone adding information/forging the Will.

Could you give us a typical example of what you are talking about, with out giving us too much family detail.

Steve.
    Too many bones, too much sorrow, but until I am dead, there's always tomorrow.

Knowledgeable and helpful

There's no family detail that relates to me or mine as the Will is the chap who built the house in the early 1920's which my parents-in-law bought in the 1970's. I have downloaded it from the Government website and it is a PDF so I can't attach it here.

If anyone can help I can send it as an attachment to them in a private message or to their e-mail ...............

Private message sent.

Steve.

I have PM'd you again, and hope my insights are clear enough. Many, many words, and that's how Lawyers earn their money. As one Lawyer said to me......'Talk is cheap, until you walk into my office'.

Steve.