A fountain of knowledge

Smile Is This a Record?

Pun intended.

Whilst reviewing/revising my Family Tree preparatory to transferring it to another computer I spotted what is probably the youngest person to be entered in a census; he certainly is in my tree!

n k Whittle Male Day 1 Y
    Parents are Henry and Margaret 20 Silk Weavers of Alder Lane, Hindley, Lancashire, England.

Class: HO107; Piece 522; Book: 10; Civil Parish: Wigan; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 6; Folio: 7; Page: 7; Line: 24;

Unless of course someone can beat it. A baby born whilst the enumerator was there perhaps? The mind boggles at the ructions that would have caused! Would the age be recorded as 0?

Malcolm

Reputation beyond repute

A baby born whilst the enumerator was there perhaps?
    Nice thought but unfortunately the enumerator wouldn't be there on census day.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Nice thought but unfortunately the enumerator wouldn't be there on census day.
    So, was the baby born the day before the official census date and the enumerator visited that day and adjusted the age or was the baby born the day before his visit?

Guess I'll have to send for the certificate to get a definitive answer. But first I've got to put a name to him!
    Last edited by macwil; 13-07-2016 at 7:44 AM. Reason: additional comment

Reputation beyond repute

I don't know what you mean by "adjusted the date". The official instruction to enumerators for the 1841 census say "Write the age of every person under 15 years of age as it is stated to you". The age shown is 1 day. The inference is that the child was born on 5 June. Whether this is true or not is another matter.

But first I've got to put a name to him!
    Not necessarily. You know the parents' names. GRO will sort it out for you.

BTW there are two Johns and a Rodger registered in the June quarter in Wigan. That's not to say that the child was necessarily one of those.

A fountain of knowledge

UPDATE.

Just got back to Blackpool and had a look at the certificate. (My sister had trouble reading it.)

The date is Sixth of June 1841 and his name is given as Rodger, his mother's surname is given as Bury (marriage cert. has Berry) she made her mark as informant. In column 3 Sex was given as Male then scored through superscribed 17 and Boy entered underneath. A note added in margin says (I think) Correction with initials J.G underneath. (John Grimes was Registrar)

A fountain of knowledge

Wink Beat the deadline!

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    . . .

Unless of course someone can beat it. A baby born whilst the enumerator was there perhaps? The mind boggles at the ructions that would have caused! Would the age be recorded as 0?

Malcolm
    I think I have! (no connections)
    Just discovered this one in Uffington Berkshire. Although the enumerator probaly wasn't there.

RG10 Piece 1259 Folio 26 Page 20
    02 Apr 1871 Uffington, Berkshire, England

Albert Wyatt Head M 27 Contractor Brickmaker Uffington Berks
    Rowena Do Wife F 26 Faringdon Do
    Cordelia Do Daur F 6 Uffington Do
    William Do Son M 4 Do
    Mary J Do Daur F 2 Do
    Baby born tonight Daur tonight Do

(Sorry can't work out how to get it in table format)

Poor fella! Trying to fill in a census form and the wife goes into labour!!
    Last edited by macwil; 11-07-2019 at 4:25 PM. Reason: added comment and Date