Norma

Default Sims of Wiltshire

Does anyone have any information on Charlotte Sims born about 1807 Westbury and married John Elkins (also born c1807 Chalford) in 1828 in Westbury? They are my 2xgt Grandparents. Have found several Sims and Elkins families but cannot find their births
    Any help appreciated
    Norma

Knowledgeable and helpful

If you haven't found them in the records of Westbury or Dilton Marsh C of E, then you need to be looking for them in non-conformist records. West Wiltshire had many different denominations, but many branches of Baptists. See William Doel's book "Twenty golden candlesticks." Infant baptism is not a Baptist rite so you will need to be imaginative. Some records exist in RG4 and others which are part of the Genealogist's data. Marriages until 1837 had to be in a C of E church so this can be misleading about family religion.. pwholt

You could order the film for Charlottte and John's marriage at your local familysearch.org branch. It may have more information than has been transcribed.
    As always other members questions lead to me learning something new., as in the links below

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch...vol8/pp181-185
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WIL/Westbury

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Norma

Default Sims of Wiltshire

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    If you haven't found them in the records of Westbury or Dilton Marsh C of E, then you need to be looking for them in non-conformist records. West Wiltshire had many different denominations, but many branches of Baptists. See William Doel's book "Twenty golden candlesticks." Infant baptism is not a Baptist rite so you will need to be imaginative. Some records exist in RG4 and others which are part of the Genealogist's data. Marriages until 1837 had to be in a C of E church so this can be misleading about family religion.. pwholt
    Many thanks. Will keep searching
    Norma

Norma

Thank you. Will keep searching
    Norma

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Chalford is a hamlet within the parish of Westbury (Genuki).Worth a look here https://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/

There's a James Elkins, born 10 May 1831, bap 10 Mar 1832 (error in transcription?) Westbury, Wiltshire, parents John and Charlotte - denomination Independent.

Source - FMP (image/transcription), Wiltshire, Westbury, Upper Meeting (Independent), Births and Baptisms
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Norma

Thank you yes I have that and the parents are the ones I am looking for so it seems that they are not C of E but independent

Norma

British History (online)

Westbury: Protestant Nonconformity
    https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch...vol8/pp181-185

Mentions "Upper Meeting"

I've had a look at the Registers for the Upper Meeting (Independents), Westbury which began about 1770.
    The early pages are the Pastor's responses to the enquiry by the Commissioners checking the authenticity of Parish registers. The Pastor has signed/dated "Joseph Spencer Watson, 4th day of October 1837".

In response to the Question "If you know of any Registers being lost, state the time & occasion of the loss to the best of your knowledge" he has recorded "I do not but there are defects in the Register & spaces in time which prove all is not contained".

Later, in listing the records he is presenting he records

"No 1 - Baptisms & Burials of which a part only have been entered of those which must have taken place from 1770 to the present time**.
    No 2 - Baptisms from 1813 to the present time**.
    No 3 - Baptisms performed by me while Pastor of a Church in London Street, Reading"

No mention of wedding registers

** present time = 4 Oct 1837