bettyespana

Question Looking for Norman and Nancy K.Pooley

Norman Pooley b. Hull 26th March 1924 married Nancy Kathleen Burton b. 9th March 1922 Hitchen Herts.They are now both deceased & their daughter knows nothing of her past.My friend has asked me if I can help to find more about her family if possible.

Kind regards
    bettyespana

janbooth

1939 Register shows Norman POOLEY living in Hull with widowed (presumably) mother Annie POOLEY. The register also shows Nancy K BURTON living in Hitchin but not with her parents, so no help there. I think the only way your friend is going to find out more about them is to buy their birth certificates as obviously they are too young to be in any census records. Does your friend have their marriage certificate which would at least give the names and professions of their fathers?

Janet

Brick wall demolition expert!

Janet is right about the need to have birth marriage and death certificates. I see that you are in Spain, so you may not know that you can buy the certificates on line from the General Register Office, which is the official Government site and the only one that should be used. Certificates cost £9.25 each.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp

The information that you will need is as follows:

Norman Pooley – birth registered in the April quarter of 1924 in Sculcoates Registration district. Volume 9D Page 361. Sculcoates is within Hull.

Nancy K Burton – birth registered in the April quarter of 1922 in Hitchin Registration district. Volume 3A Page 1411.

The birth index also gives the mother’s maiden name. Using this to search the marriages index gives a strong indication of the parents’ marriage: Norman’s mother’s maiden name was Sutton. There are two potential marriages:

Arthur Pooley married Cecilia A Sutton in the December quarter of 1915 and this was in Skirlaugh registration district. Skirlaugh is just north of Hull. Volume 9d Page 847

Walter Pooley married Annie E Sutton in the July quarter of 1916 and this was in Sculcoates registration district. Volume 9D Page 372

Nancy’s mother’s maiden name was Currell. In the July quarter of 1921 in Hitchin Albert E Burton married Ida M Currell Volume 3A Page 2037.

Albert E Burton is possibly Albert Edward born in 1897 in Hitchin. Ida May Currell was baptised 17 November 1901 in Hitchin the daughter of John (a Stationary Engine Man) and Rose Elizabeth. John Currell, the son of Thomas Currell, married Rose Elizabeth Bunker on 27 Dec 1886 in Hitchin. Unfortunately it does not gives us Rose’s father.

In the 1881 census there is one Rose Bunker in Hitchin aged 17 and a straw plaiter born in Picton, Hertfordshire. She was boarding with a 65 year old Sophia Bunker who may well have been related to her. In the 1871 census she is shown as the granddaughter of Samuel Bunker. Its possible that she was the daughter of one of the unmarried daughters living with him.

bettyespana

Default Norman & Nancy K Pooley

I have just passed on the info given to my friend & she has given me some more info.Norman Pooley was in the Royal Navy & then worked for Reckitt & Colman as a electrician.Norman had a older brother called George William but does not know if there were any other siblings.Annie Pooley his mother re-married to someone with the surname Price.My friend says her parents married in Hull(possibly Sculcoates area) c.1945.Nancy died 17th June 1985 & Norman 28th Sept 1990 (Hull)
    Somewhere along the way she was told they had met each other in Hitchin Herts & a address 69 Old Park Road Hitchin is somewhere that was mentioned.
    There was a younger sister Peggy & a brother to Nancy & they were brought up by a Gt Aunt who she thinks had the surname Summerfield.
    Hope this is of help.

bettyespana

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    Janet is right about the need to have birth marriage and death certificates. I see that you are in Spain, so you may not know that you can buy the certificates on line from the General Register Office, which is the official Government site and the only one that should be used. Certificates cost £9.25 each.
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp

The information that you will need is as follows:

Norman Pooley – birth registered in the April quarter of 1924 in Sculcoates Registration district. Volume 9D Page 361. Sculcoates is within Hull.

Nancy K Burton – birth registered in the April quarter of 1922 in Hitchin Registration district. Volume 3A Page 1411.

The birth index also gives the mother’s maiden name. Using this to search the marriages index gives a strong indication of the parents’ marriage: Norman’s mother’s maiden name was Sutton. There are two potential marriages:

Arthur Pooley married Cecilia A Sutton in the December quarter of 1915 and this was in Skirlaugh registration district. Skirlaugh is just north of Hull. Volume 9d Page 847

Walter Pooley married Annie E Sutton in the July quarter of 1916 and this was in Sculcoates registration district. Volume 9D Page 372

Nancy’s mother’s maiden name was Currell. In the July quarter of 1921 in Hitchin Albert E Burton married Ida M Currell Volume 3A Page 2037.

Albert E Burton is possibly Albert Edward born in 1897 in Hitchin. Ida May Currell was baptised 17 November 1901 in Hitchin the daughter of John (a Stationary Engine Man) and Rose Elizabeth. John Currell, the son of Thomas Currell, married Rose Elizabeth Bunker on 27 Dec 1886 in Hitchin. Unfortunately it does not gives us Rose’s father.

In the 1881 census there is one Rose Bunker in Hitchin aged 17 and a straw plaiter born in Picton, Hertfordshire. She was boarding with a 65 year old Sophia Bunker who may well have been related to her. In the 1871 census she is shown as the granddaughter of Samuel Bunker. Its possible that she was the daughter of one of the unmarried daughters living with him.
    Thank you Megan for this.
    I will now pass this on to my friend & she can send for certs as advised.I am in Spain but my friend just visits so she can do this on her return to Uk.
    I am sure this will help her to sort a few questions out as to where & whence her family were.
    Thank you.

janbooth

That figures with the 1939 register entry for Nancy BURTON as she was living with a Frederick & Eva SUMMERFIELD. Annie POOLEY is also shown with a subsequent married name of PRICE. Can't give you full details because of FindmyPast's terms & conditions.

According to Ancestry's Select Marriages, Frederick J SUMMERFIELD married Eva R CURRELL in the June qtr 1912 at Hitchin reg district. Eva CURRELL is in the 1911 census of Hitchin, aged 23, living at 32 Hitchin Hill together with parents John CURRELL, aged 45, Stationary Engineman, born Hitchin & Rose CURRELL, aged 46, born Pirton, and 4 siblings amongst whom is an Annie CURRELL, aged 13, & an Ida CURRELL, aged 9, both born Hitchin. This all ties in with the information that Megan has provided and that which your friend already has.

Norman POOLEY married Nancy K BURTON in the September qtr 1945 at Hull reg district. It does sound as if Norman's parents were Walter & Annie E (nee SUTTON) using the information from the 1939 register. There is a birth registration for an Annie Lizzie SUTTON in the December qtr 1893 at Sculcoates reg district which may be relevant. Death registration for a Walter POOLEY in the September qtr 1939 at Hull reg district, aged 47, which sounds as though it could be relevant also.

Walter POOLEY is in the 1911 census of Sutton-on-Hull living at 11 Lime tree Avenue with parents John, aged 64, born Dereham, Norfolk, a Jobbing Gardener & Mary Jane POOLEY, aged 52, born Ollerton, Nottinghamshire, plus 3 siblings.

Hope this helps further.

Janet

bettyespana

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    That figures with the 1939 register entry for Nancy BURTON as she was living with a Frederick & Eva SUMMERFIELD. Annie POOLEY is also shown with a subsequent married name of PRICE. Can't give you full details because of FindmyPast's terms & conditions.

According to Ancestry's Select Marriages, Frederick J SUMMERFIELD married Eva R CURRELL in the June qtr 1912 at Hitchin reg district. Eva CURRELL is in the 1911 census of Hitchin, aged 23, living at 32 Hitchin Hill together with parents John CURRELL, aged 45, Stationary Engineman, born Hitchin & Rose CURRELL, aged 46, born Pirton, and 4 siblings amongst whom is an Annie CURRELL, aged 13, & an Ida CURRELL, aged 9, both born Hitchin. This all ties in with the information that Megan has provided and that which your friend already has.

Norman POOLEY married Nancy K BURTON in the September qtr 1945 at Hull reg district. It does sound as if Norman's parents were Walter & Annie E (nee SUTTON) using the information from the 1939 register. There is a birth registration for an Annie Lizzie SUTTON in the December qtr 1893 at Sculcoates reg district which may be relevant. Death registration for a Walter POOLEY in the September qtr 1939 at Hull reg district, aged 47, which sounds as though it could be relevant also.

Walter POOLEY is in the 1911 census of Sutton-on-Hull living at 11 Lime tree Avenue with parents John, aged 64, born Dereham, Norfolk, a Jobbing Gardener & Mary Jane POOLEY, aged 52, born Ollerton, Nottinghamshire, plus 3 siblings.

Hope this helps further.

Janet
    Thank you very much Janet this is fantastic.I will pass this on to my friend who is also a Janet,she will be thrilled.
    Funny thing is I have Pooleys in my tree born in Norfolk I am going to check & see if I have a John b.in Dereham.
    Look well if my friend & I have a connection that way.
    Thank you so much once again

janbooth

Wouldn't that be great! Glad to be of help and good luck with the research.

Janet

bettyespana

Thank you Janet !