Default London - Gloucestershire / Worcestershire.

This query is about a surname interest and is also a brick wall. My ggg grandfather James London was married in Kemerton (then Gloucs, now Worcs) in 1821. He died in Kemerton in 1847, aged 50. Yet I can't find a baptism or a burial and without the former I can't be sure who his parents were. There's a William London who married an Ann Smith in Kemerton in 1788, who might be the parents (the date would work) but no baptism of James (though plenty of baptisms of other London children)... any light shed would be much appreciated.

Helen

Hi Helen. As this is a query I have moved it from Surname Interests, where posts are locked. As it straddles county borders I have put it in the general English forum, but most people will pick it up via New Posts. The important thing is that it remains an open thread so people can reply.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

janbooth

There are baptisms at Kemerton of several children to a William & Ann LONDON available to view on Ancestry, the first being a William baptised in 1789 and the last that of Apollonia in 1804 but there is a big gap between Ann baptised in 1791 and Charles in 1800, so William & Anne could perhaps be the parents of your James but were somewhere else in the intervening years. Will investigate some more after lunch.

Janet

janbooth

Should have read your query more carefully, my only excuse being I was in a hurry, because you already have the information I have given you - my apologies. However, like yourself I can find no baptism for James LONDON in Gloucestershire, although the 1841 census does show that he was born in Gloucestershire, nor can I find a burial record for him although the GRO Index does show a death registration for a James LONDON in the March qtr 1847 at Tewkesbury which is the correct district for Kemerton. However, given that the family seem to have been based in Kemerton, he was married there, his children were baptised there, daughter Rosetta was married there, widow Sarah is still there in the 1851 census, where on earth is he buried?? He does not show up on the Gloucestershire FHS Burial Index, I cannot find a non-conformist record for him, so what happened to him. Do you have his death certificate already Helen and if so does it give any clues?

Janet