Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very quick off the mark.

Default M, W, C in Burial Register

I think I have actually answered my question whilst writing the title for my thread but Ill go ahead anyway for confirmation.

I have found the possible burial of an ancestor James HARMAN on 18th April 1874 at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster. This is in the Westminster Burials on findmypast.

There is a column with a letter M, W or C after each entry. Does this mean Man, Woman, Child? If so, this is not my ancestor as the entry is marked C.

Reputation beyond repute

Surely there weren't any burials at St Martin in the Fields in 1874?

Knowledgeable and helpful

I think it may refer to the material the shroud was made of - wool, canvas/cotton or muslin

Emeltee

Very quick off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Surely there weren't any burials at St Martin in the Fields in 1874?
    Yes you're right, Peter.

Fumble fingers - it should have been 1784.

Kiltpin

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    I think it may refer to the material the shroud was made of - wool, canvas/cotton or muslin

Emeltee
    This is probably a very stupid question, but why would it make a difference? Unless, it was the intention to dig someone up later. And surely muslin is made from cotton?

Am I missing something obvious?

Regards

Kiltpin

Reputation beyond repute

See Wikipedia "Burying in Woollen Acts".

But I can't really buy that. Wouldn't linen or silk be the alternative to wool? In any case I don't think the law was strictly enforced by 1784.

Kiltpin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    See Wikipedia "Burying in Woollen Acts".
    Thanks for that, Peter. I knew about the Act, but was not sure of the dates.

Regards

Kiltpin

Looking at the first pages of the list (Feb 1683/4) intrigued why none of the "stillborn of ..." or "abortive of ..." are marked M, C or W.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Very quick off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Looking at the first pages of the list (Feb 1683/4) intrigued why none of the "stillborn of ..." or "abortive of ..." are marked M, C or W.
    I was trying to work out how to get to the first page of the book to see if it said what the abbreviations were - but I presume it doesn't.

Maybe, if they do mean Man, Woman or Child, a stillborn or abortive child either didn't need to be noted as Child or weren't even recognised as a person.

Kiltpin

Quote Originally Posted by margarita View Post
    Maybe, if they do mean Man, Woman or Child, a stillborn or abortive child either didn't need to be noted as Child or weren't even recognised as a person.
    I think that you are spot on, margarita. I believe that the criteria is whether the baby draws breath or not. If they do then, by definition, they are not born "still" and are a live birth.

Regards

Kiltpin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast