Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default William (Billy) Stephens Actor/Comedian

Hi, I am Debbie,
    I am new to this. I am trying to locate my Great Grandfather's side of the family. I know he was born in Oct.1875. Married in 1898, had 5 children in the early 1900's. He played all around London.
    I am trying to locate his brothers Richard, John Charles, William Henry and their families as well as any other relatives.
    Any help or hints as to where to look would be greatly appreciated. Where I might find photos too.

Thanks
    Debbie

Hi Debbie,

It isn't clear from your post what records you already have. I can see his marriage certificate online, and census returns, the 1911 shows he has 4 children still living, and 3 children who have died.

If you could be more specific it would save us posting duplicates of what you have/know.

https://
    footlightnotes.tumblr.com/page/24
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for your response. Sorry for not being more specific. I am looking for his birth records, his father and mother, his brothers and their families information. I already have his marriage info and the census info. I am also looking for one of his daughters Dolly born 1903.

In 1891 he's with his family in Chelsea, London. RG12; Piece: 59; Folio: 62; Page: 45
    Richard Stephens 48, Engineer, Middlesex
    Eliza Stephens 40, Bristol
    Richard Stephens 22, Mail Driver, Middlesex
    William Stephens 16, comedian act. Middlesex
    John Stephens 10, Middlesex
    Henry Stephens 8, Middlesex
    (Please be aware the original sheet is not clear in the ages columns, so some of the above may be wrong)

1881, 8, North Street, Clerkenwell, Holborn, London. RG11, Piece 355, Folio 47, page 14.
    Richard Stephens, 43, hot water engineer, St Lukes Middlesex
    Eiza A, wife, 30, Bristol
    Richard, son, 10, Clerkenwell, Middlesex
    Infant, son, 0 (must be John), Clerkenwell

William isn't listed, I'll look for him, he could be with relatives or in Hospital say
    Alma

This could be William in 1881 listed as cousin. RG11; Piece: 493; Folio: 8; Page: 10
    31, Candy St, Homerton, London.
    Edward John Knight 36
    Caroline Knight 34
    Edward Knight 13
    Albert Knight 8
    Charlie Knight 6
    Elizabeth Knight 3
    William John Knight
    William Stephens 6
    John Primrose 44

Ancestry is playing up and I can't open the original returns.

Marriages Sep 1869, Hackney, 1b 678. Alfred John Knight and Caroline STEPHENS (possibly Richard Stephens sister)
    Alma

The nearest I can find for Dolly is: Dolly STEVENS, born 1903, domestic, sailed to Quebec on the Letitia, 3rd Sept 1926.
    Her arrival records her as STEPHENS
    Name: Dolly Stephens
    Birth Year: abt 1903
    Birth Country: England
    Date of Arrival: 11 Sep 1926
    Vessel: Letitia

Also this one
    New York, Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and Rochester Arrivals, 1902-1954
    Dolly Stephens, Age 25
    Birthplace/nationality England
    Arrival year 1929
    Arrival state New York
    Alma

Richard Henry Stephens married Emily Hole, both age 29yrs. On 2nd Sept 1900 at St Luke, Chelsea. Richard a Carpenter, father Richard an Engineer. Emily's father Charles John Hole a Bootmaker.
    Alma

John Charles Stephens (26) married Ivy Graham Luck (24), on 29th Sept 1907 at St Luke, Chelsea. John Charles a Music Hall Artist, father Richard a retired Engineer. Ivy's father Lionel Graham Luck an Actor, dead.
    Alma

Henry Stephens (23) married Ellen Maude Hare (24), on 15th July 1906 at St Luke, Chelsea. Henry an Actor, father Richard a retired Engineer. Ellen's father Charles Hare a Postman dead. One witness was John Charles Stephens
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

WoW! Thank you so much for all your help and all the information. This is so helpful and makes a lot of sense to me.
    Now I have good information to work with. Just wonder now I can find any living children from Richard, Henry, John and possibly connect with them or any other Stephens for that matter.

Debbie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast