Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Default Nichol, British Columbia

Nichol is where my great-grandfather died in 1931.

I've had an email from a member of the Prince George Genealogical Society and he says
    "In case you are wondering about where Nichol was, it was west of Prince George on the Canadian National Railway and close to the Nechako River. The only reference that I can find is in a small booklet about rural post offices in this region. It was apparently established in 1916, and the Post Office operated until December 1930. There must have been a few people living in the area, but there was no road access, and the place faded away!"

I'm wondering if anyone who has a worldwide Ancestry sub could find Nichol for me in the 1921 census please, and tell me stuff such as the number of people who lived there, and what seemed to be the main job(s). I suspect they would be mainly railroad workers. I hasten to add that I don't need precise figures, and I have no names for you to search for.

Great-granddad emigrated to Canada in 1923, so I'm hoping he'll be in the 1931 census. (Got a few more years to wait for that, unfortunately.)

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Pam
    Just found this.
    https://travelingluck.com/North+Ameri...52_Nichol.html

Can't find it in the districts and subdistricts of 1921 census but my eyes were starting to roll!

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks for the link, and for looking, Christina.

I know I tried to find Nichol in the 1911 (Canadian) census but as it didn't exist until 1916 it's not surprising I was unsuccessful. And I've now found that Prince George wasn't established as a town (city) until 1915.

In the 1911 census the local area had the nearby towns of Fort George and South Fort George. Both were in District 14, sub district Cariboo, and presumably it will the same in 1921.

Pam

thewideeyedowl

What about this page, Pam? https://www.vpl.ca/bccd/index.php/br...mbia_Directory.

Hope the exact page comes up - it's for 1931. But as you will see, this site is a gold mine. Hope you can find folks and background info there.

Owl

thewideeyedowl

Sorry - link takes you to the site Home page. Check out Nichol from the menu on the left-hand side, under towns > Nic. Then you should get there.

This wonderful site has directories for BC from 1860 through to 1955.

Owl

Owl - just completely

As you say, a wonderful site, and a million thanks for finding it. I'll forward it to my PG GS man (obviously giving you credit!) because I'm sure he'll be interested in it.

It's interesting that great granddad is listed in the 1931 entry for Nichol but not previous ones, so my homework for this weekend is to check out other local places in the directory to see if I can find him.

In 1921 almost everyone is involved in ranching or farming, though the railway station was there at the time.
    Love the description - Local resources: Farming, excellent meadow land with light clearing, but lacking in roads.

Pam