Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default letter from the gallows

My father, who died in 2010, was a boyhood friend of Christopher Geraghty. Geraghty was hanged in 1947 for the murder of Alec de Antiquis during a botched hold up. My father used to talk about a letter that Geraghty wrote to his parents before he was executed. Apparently this letter was published in the News of the World (Sept 21, 1947). Does anybody have a copy of this letter?

Kiltpin

You could try writing (emailing) the Editor of "The Sun" newspaper. The two newspapers were very heavily linked together.

Regards

Kiltpin

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I will do that, thanks.

There are dozens of articles on Findmypast about this imcident but none in The Sun. In fact FMP doesn't appear to list The Sun in their collection.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    There are dozens of articles on Findmypast about this imcident but none in The Sun. In fact FMP doesn't appear to list The Sun in their collection.

Christina
    Thanks, I'll have a look there.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I searched for the News of the World archives and found this:

Address: News of the World archive, News International Archive and Record Office, 1 Virginia Street, London E1 9XY

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I searched for the News of the World archives and found this:

Address: News of the World archive, News International Archive and Record Office, 1 Virginia Street, London E1 9XY
    thanks, I will write to them.

Reputation beyond repute

The Sun did not exist in 1947.

There seems to be surprisingly little in the papers available on line, but I'm surprised at the speed with which things happened - the trial opened on 21 July, 1947 and the men were executed on 19 September 1947! The Dundee Evening Telegraph (papers all over the country picked up stories and republished them) reported that appeals were refused and a letter from Geraghty's mother was also ignored.
    There's no mention of his letter, though.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    There seems to be surprisingly little in the papers available on line, but I'm surprised at the speed with which things happened - the trial opened on 21 July, 1947 and the men were executed on 19 September 1947! The Dundee Evening Telegraph (papers all over the country picked up stories and republished them) reported that appeals were refused and a letter from Geraghty's mother was also ignored.
    There's no mention of his letter, though.
    you are right it didn't take long. I'm also surprised by the speed with which I'm getting help here... thanks to all.

-Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast