Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Valerie1593

Default Thank You!

Dear Trish, you truly are a star. Thank you so much for all the information.

As you can probably tell, I'm new at all this "genealogy stuff" and it would probably have taken me ages to find all this information. No wonder I couldn't find anything on Olive Knight - I had been assuming that she was Welsh - I had no idea that we had English blood in our background, I thought that we were Scottish and Welsh (although I did hear my father mutter something about an Irish grandmother one time - I think she may be a Betsy Kinnear, but that's another family line for another time.)

Post #6 - I'm pretty sure that that is indeed my grandfather's birth record since he was born on January 20th. Also, since he would have been 18 at the time of the 1901 census he may already have joined up with the 17th Lancers which would explain why he didn't show up in either the Welsh or English census - he was probably already in South Africa. Somewhere along the line he married my grandmother, Agnes Henderson from Musselborough, just south of Edinburgh, and they lived in Joppa (a suburb of Edinburgh) at the time my favourite aunt (also Olive Knight) and my mother were born. I, too was born in Edinburgh but now live in San Diego, California - another loooong story.

Olive Knight, so far the most elusive relative, seems to have had quite an interesting life. I'm looking forward to finding out more about her.

Thanks again for all your hard work - you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Valerie

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Why thank you, Valerie. Happy to help out.

It's interesting what you find out about your ancestors when you start digging. It's especially surprising how much some of them moved around back in an age when moving around wasn't so easy!

I've just noticed two errors on the 1871 census transcription I gave you: 1] Elizabeth's and Olive's ages and occupations have been transposed and 2] Hannah's last name looks more like WOOTEN on the actual census image. I will edit it but wanted to draw your attention to the errors in case you've already stored the information.

I bet it's nice and warm in beautiful San Diego right about now.

The best of luck to you in the rest of your family research.
    Trish
    Last edited by Trish; 29-09-2005 at 1:51 AM.

Valerie1593

Smile

Thanks again Trish for all your help. I must admit that I was a little worried about the 1871 census and the fact that Olive would have been 21 and there was that granddaughter - Rosannah (1 year old) living in the house at that time. I thought. "oh goody, another relative I've never heard of". Now it seems that Rosannah might have been Elizabeth's child instead of Olive's. I have corrected my records thanks to your help.

I must admit that genealogy can be so frustrating at times but when you find a piece of the puzzle and it starts to fall into place it's such a "high".

Now all I have to do is e-mail my brother (who lives in Australia) and try to gently break the news to him that we have English blood in the family also. All these years we had been thinking that we were at least 75% Scots, with that Welsh grandfather in the mix. Now I find out that we are truly representative of the entire U.K. - we appear to be mainly Scots, but with Welsh, English and maybe even Irish thrown in. For some reason that makes me very, very happy.

San Diego is indeed a beautiful city and I feel so lucky to be able to live here but the past couple of days we have had the Santa Ana (Devil) winds blowing in from the desert and it is soooooooooo hot. However, so far we have had a cool summer (by our standards) and I guess we can suffer through a few days of 90-100 degree temperatures before it, hopefully, starts to cool off in October.

Thanks again - I truly do appreciate all your help. Without your help I would still be floundering around looking for Olive Knight somewhere in Wales.

Valerie

p.s. Trish - I forgot to mentioned that "moving around". Yes, I too was really surprised at how much people used to move around way back when. I sort of had the idea in mind that they pretty much stayed close to home, but then my grandfather, originally from Wrexham, somehow managed to meet my grandmother who, as far as I know right now, was born and raised in Musselburgh just south of Edinburgh. They got married and raised their family in Edinburgh. Another "mystery" to try to solve!
    Last edited by Valerie1593; 30-09-2005 at 2:31 AM.

Louie95

Hi Valerie, I am unsure if this will ever reach you or not as the post is quite a few years old and there's no other way to contact you. However, if it does, we were close friends with Olive Genovese (formally Olive Prytherch), who passed away at the age of 90 a month ago. My mom was clearing out her house when we found a shoe horn belonging to her dad, Sam, who owned a shoe repair store in Langley British Columbia (The province where we live). While researching the store, we found this post. We would love to hear from you if this message ever finds your way. You can contact my mother at [email protected] . Hope to possible hear from you one day and learn more about this family we have in common! - Chris

Welcome to British-Genealogy Louie95

Valerie is no longer a member of the forum so will not receive notification of your post which is very unfortunate for her.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Could this be Sam?

1901 Census - RG13 2800 8 7
    Sam Prytherick (as transcribed/original), Inmate of Reformatory School, age 16, born Wrexham, address Stoke Prior, Bromsgrove.

In March 1900 a Samuel Prytherch, age 15, Poplar Road, appeared with 3 others before Wrexham magistrates - breaking into the national Schools, Maderia hill
    In May 1900 an order was made against Peter Prytherch, of Erddig Road, to contribute 2s a week towards the maintenance of his son who was in the reformatory School
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12