robsnicta

Default Marriage Indexes

I have been searching for a marriage record for an ancestor of mine and keep drawing a blank. However I have come across a marriage index for 1845 which I might have the record I'm looking for but has some spelling mistakes. The index has been typed. Would these have been typed in 1845 or is this a modern transcription of what would have been hand written?

Any suggestions?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

If you told us which index we'd be able to give a more informative answer.
    It depends on who typed it, when, and what their original source was.

What does the index say (spellling mistakes and all!), and what would you like it to say?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

robsnicta

The index is the England & Wales freeBMD marriage index, 1837 - 1915 found on An***** in a typed format. The grooms name is John Broumley however this has been spelt as Bromley who came from Killerby in Durham. The brides name is Eliza Stott however her first name has been spelt Elisha. She came from Melsonby which would have come under the Richmond Yk registration district as is shown on the index. The index reference for both is 24, 495. I have seen on the 1851 census and later ones his surname having been transcribed as Bromley and hers as Broumley.

I know the typewriter wasn't invented until 1865 and wasn't available commercially until 1870!

Robsnicta

Famous for offering help & advice

freebmd.org.uk has the original handwritten images of the 1845 index. They appear as John BROMLEY and Elisha STOTT on this original. You can view the images if you click on the spectacle image next to the listing.

Over to yorkshirebmd.org.uk, the local index and they have the pair together as :
    STOTT, Eliza marrying BROMLEY, John at Gilling, St Agatha, Ripon. Registers at Harrogate. Ref; C14RI/1/39

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I would suggest you search the FreeBMD site itself. Not only is it more up to date than the version on Ancestry, it has many more search options on it than Ancestry's. www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

When you find an entry on that database you will usually see some 'spectacles' to the right, and if you click on them there's a link to the original image so you can check if there's a transcription error from the current (image) page. In the early years of civil registration the pages of the GRO Index were handwritten. Later they were 'transcribed' into typed pages and lots of errors crept in. As surname spelling wasn't standardised until the late 1800s there was even more room for error.

Mona has given you a very good example of trying to find an alternative source of the information.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

robsnicta

Thanks so much Mona and Pam for pointing me in the direction of the freeBMD website. It certainly does seem to be much better then Ancestry as you say.

As I can't find a marriage in any district between John Broumley and Eliza Stott between 1845 and 1856 it would seem that it is a historical spelling error that just repeated itself throughout history on and off.

Thanks again
    Robsnicta

Spelling before WW1 was a fuzzy sort of thing. People spoke their names to the clerk or Minister, he wrote down what he heard and the happy couple were not invited to check what he'd written. It's a bit like ages, people weren't as obsessed with accuracy as we are.

(For example, I have a copy of a baptismal entry where the family name has 3 spellings in the single entry - for the child, the father and the paternal grandfather whose name was being used).

robsnicta

That is so true Lesley and I have many examples of that in my own family tree before WW1.