Starting to feel at home

Default Details from 1861 Census

Hello
    In 1860 my great-great grandparents were living at 6 Sidney Street, District: Mile End Old Town Western, County Middlesex, London.

I thought I should be able to use the 1861 census to find out whether this address was a boarding / lodging house, but no matter what combinations of search terms I put in to Ancestry census records, I’m not having any success. They were actors, so unfortunately had moved on before that census date.

Is there anyone who can direct me as to how to search correctly?

Thank you, Di

Census Ref - RG09 291 56 16

Found using FMP address search facility (not familiar with Ancestry)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

Ancestry have not transcribed addresses so you can't search on address. Use Findmypast or the census street index via TNA.

Just for you, try RG9/291 f 56 p 16

There's an August 1860 newspaper advert in the East London Observer -
    "A respectable youth wanted as an apprentice to the Bookbinding, where he will have the opportunity of learning every branch of the trade - apply 6, Sidney Street, Commercial Road"

(Sidney Street runs north from Commercial Road)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

It's a bit fiddly, especially for cities, but if you don't have access to FMP you can narrow the search in Ancestry by clicking on 1861 census for England below the search box. It should then bring up Browse this Collection on the right hand side. Choose Middlesex for the County and Mile End Old Town for the Civil Parish in the drop down menus. You then get a list of possible enumeration districts. Each one of these used to start with the page describing the streets in each ED, but it seems to go straight to the first page now, but you can still scroll through.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids