Starting to feel at home

Default Witnesses at weddings mid 1800s

Hello

I have been researching the details from the wedding of my great-great grandparents, at St Pancras, Middlesex in 1860. When I googled the names of the witnesses (not known family members), I was amazed to find the two names - Robert Stone and M Buderidge - had also been the witnesses at another couple's wedding at the same church ten years later.

So now my question is: why would these two people be the witnesses at the weddings of two completely unconnected marriages, each 10 years apart? Did the churches have professional witnesses at this time?

Fingers crossed that someone knows the answer!

Regards, Di

Reputation beyond repute

Robert Stone was the verger at St Pancras (see 1871 census).

If the happy couple didn't bring along enough witnesses, a church official would usually step in.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for your very quick reply Peter - how did you come across that little gem of a detail!

Unfortunately I think this couple wouldn't have had any witnesses they knew at their wedding. She was from a Quaker family who wouldn't countenance her marrying an actor; they were constantly on the move, so maybe didn't have any friends around them at that time. Di

Reputation beyond repute

how did you come across that little gem of a detail?
    I just entered "Robert Stone"; keyword: Pancras in the 1871 census search page