Settling in

Default McKercher of Logierait

I have a John McKercher born 1823 in Logrerait, Perth married Isabella Smeaton Young of Fowlis Wester in 1879. I don't know if there is any connection.

Since there's no obvious link as yet between this family and the McKerchers in the earlier thread, I've given this message its own thread in the hope of attracting more attention.

The easiest thing to do with this couple is look up their wedding certificate on Scotlands People. It'll give you both sets of parents.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi surfinnan

I started the original thread on the McKerchar family but I didn't see your post for some reason until I received an email today from BG. I don't think that I got a notification when you first posted it. So my apologies for not replying sooner.

I did all I could to research McKerchar for my friend a few years ago and then passed it all over to him to look after. Shortly afterwards I had a major computer crash and lost all the stuff on my laptop (fortunately he has a copy). So I cannot check your possible connection. I think that the place you refer to is actually spelled Logierait and is about 30km north-east of Kenmore where many of his family came from so it is quite possible that there is a relationship. It is however a fairly common clan name in that part of the world being also related to the Farquharson family (if the spelling is wrong it is because I'm English and no longer have my notes). Sorry not to be more helpful.

Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke