Mick Holtby

Captain (Retd) JM Holtby AMA
    Curator QRL NY Museum

Quote Originally Posted by sucy88 View Post
    The e mail came from this gentleman.

Mick Holtby

Captain (Retd) JM Holtby AMA
    Curator QRL NY Museum
    Very weird, as the Collars, Headdress and Trousers all match to 17th Lancers. I am lost then.

FROGSMILE

I am surprised that this was not solved quite quickly in terms of identifying the uniform, as there is only a small error made by the person who hand coloured the original image. The soldier shown is a member of the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers), who were very distinctive because they were the only dragoon guards to wear blue rather than scarlet tunics. The Lancers confusion has been caused by the hand colourist painting in a white vertical line on the pillbox cap, all other aspects of the uniform are correct, in particular the distinctive cuff knots that were associated with dragoons full dress tunics (but not the short, stable jackets, or the undress frocks) of that period. Unfortunately, when in 'review order' long white gauntlets were worn that obscured these knots.
    Last edited by FROGSMILE; 05-10-2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Further info

FROGSMILE

Here are some images of the tunic:

Either the soldier shown was not who you thought, or he had additional service with the cavalry pre-war. I would date the photo around 1900 as collar badges are not yet being worn, and they were worn by the regiment after the Boer War.
    Last edited by FROGSMILE; 05-10-2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Further info

FROGSMILE

Unlike the majority of other cavalry regiments the 6th DG (Carabiniers) did not wear a special, regimental arm badge above their rank stripes at that time, although they did adopt one later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12