Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cary Christopher

Unhappy Can't find Birdle or is it Burdsdale, Suffolk

My ancestor, Ann Bailey (born circa 1780-died 1867), has two references to her place of birth in Suffolk. When her son, Aaron Wilkinson, was baptized in Sunderland, Durham in 1810, she said her birth place was Burdle, Suffolk. In the 1861 census entry for her as widow Ann Craven, age 82, living in Bradford, West Yorkshire, her birth place is listed as Burdsdale, Suffolk. So I'm pretty convinced she was born in Suffolk.

Can anyone decipher the village of Ann's origin? It would help me to narrow down the parish where she was baptized. GENUKI Suffolk doesn't have a village or parish that even comes close to Birdle or Burdsdale.

If I could find her marriage in Yorkshire to a man named Craven, I might be able to find her father's name and that would narrow down the parish she lived in. Still looking for her in the 1851 and 1841 censuses. She ought to be in Yorkshire but I can't find her.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Be careful about altering records,1861 shows pob in index as Busdsdale.Unusual too for baptism to show parents original parish!Have you traced her marriage to Wilkinson and is Aaron her first born?When was she widowed?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Looking at the list of Suffolk parishes on Genuki two spring out as possibilities - Bardwell and Burstall.

Emeltee

Cary Christopher

Cool Suffolk location search

Quote Originally Posted by warncoort View Post
    Be careful about altering records,1861 shows pob in index as Busdsdale.Unusual too for baptism to show parents original parish!Have you traced her marriage to Wilkinson and is Aaron her first born?When was she widowed?
    Ancestry.com is famous for poor indexing and transcriptions. If you look at the actual 1861 census entry, it is clearly not Busdsdale. The combination of B-U-S-D-S-D just doesn't make any sense and matches no villages in Suffolk.

The 1810 baptism of Aaron Wilkinson at Sunderland, Durham was an amazing entry. You may view it under my user name and the responses posted within the last week.

Aaron is listed as the 5th son of Moses Wilkinson, weaver of Sowerby (West Yorkshire), mother Ann Bailey, of Birdle, Suffolk. She was previously thought by my many Wilkinson cousins to be from Thornton, Yorkshire. Until this baptism entry, I don't believe I've seen a baptism entry that included all the information found in this baptism entry. I couldn't tell you why Moses was in Sunderland and no one has been able to find a marriage record for Moses to any Ann within the British Isles.

According to family oral tradition, Moses Wilkinson served 33 years in the British Army. His son, Charles William Wilkinson, was supposed to have been born in Edinburgh while his father was on duty there. The birth date of Charles varies four different censuses: in 1841, approx. year of birth is 1808 but the age of he and his wife, Sarah Ann Mercer, are clearly rounded to the nearest "5". In 1851, approx. year of birth is 1808 again. He moves to America and the 1860 census has approx. year of birth as 1813; same info in the 1870 census. When he died before the 1880 U.S. census, his tombstone says he was born in 1816. All of the censuses state he was born in Scotland and the 1851 actual has his place of birth as "Edenbrou, Scotland". I could find no record of a baptism for him in Scotland but that's not surprising since the family was Anglican.

There is a Moses Wilkinson from Sowerby who reenlists in the British Army 82nd of Foot in 1799 at age 46. He indicates prior service in the "19th E Yorkshire". The enlistment register does not have a discharge date for this soldier. There is a check mark in the "Died" column but no other dates and/or notes. The index on Ancestry had an enlistment date 20 Sep 1806 which is clearly incorrect. The index also omitted Moses' first name although it is clearly readable.

There are three additional Moses Wilkinsons from Sowerby in British Army records. One was a teenager who died in service. The other two entries are for a Moses Wilkinson who enlists in the 84th of Foot, 1st Battalion, in 1808 at the age of 18. The two separate entries appear to be for the same single individual. The 1st Battalion served continuously in India through 1819 except for the 1810 Mauritius expedition. There are no notes indicating this Moses was invalided, he appears on muster rolls in India and is discharged and returned to Europe in 1816.

It appears that Moses died in 1829. This date comes from family Bible records.

Until my Ancestry DNA test last year, I didn't know I had any English ancestors. In tracing the family history, I've found myself questioning a great deal of sloppy research on the part of a good many cousins. Some of them believe the Moses Wilkinson born in 1790 died in 1899. The 1899 death date happens to be for a son of Charles William Wilkinson and Sarah Ann Mercer who was born in Bradford in 1837 and died in 1899 in the States. Charles and Sarah were married at St. Paul's, Shipley, West Yorkshire in 1834. Charles was a wool comber by trade. I've no idea why they married in Shipley since Sarah was also born at Bradford.

It's an interesting new part of my family and I've no reason to doubt that Moses Wilkinson served 33 years in the British Army. I'm actually rather proud of it. I just hope it's true. I also hope that I can find more on the Baileys and confirm or refute the other "facts" handed down by my family.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cary Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    Looking at the list of Suffolk parishes on Genuki two spring out as possibilities - Bardwell and Burstall.

Emeltee
    Given the options of villages beginning with "B", it also seemed to me like Burstall might at least sound like "Birdle" or "Burdsdale". But I think I need to track down the marriage of a Craven to either Ann Wilkinson or Ann Bailey after 1829. I haven't found Ann in either the 1851 or 1841 censuses yet. I have to keep in mind that the info in the census is generally the info provided by someone in the home that may or may not know the answers to where a parent or adult was born. Thank you for the assist.

janbooth

The date of the burial record for Moses in the family bible is confirmed by a burial record on both Ancestry and FindmyPast which states he was buried on 15 June 1829 at St Peter's Churchyard, Sowerby, aged 56. However, like you, I am having great difficulty finding Ann, with surname of WILKINSON or CRAVEN, prior to the 1861 census record where she is with daughter Betty WILKINSON and nor can I find a marriage record for her - so far!

Janet

janbooth

Found her in the 1851 census - I think! Reference HO107/2308, folio 306, page 34:

13 Keighley Street, Bradford

Joseph CRAVEN Visitor Mar 67 Weaver Worsted Yorkshire Thornton
    Ann do Wife Mar 66 Suffolk

They are living in the household of a Sarah MITCHELL and her daughter.

Joseph CRAVEN would appear to be in the 1841 census of Bradford and is married to a Mary at this time, so presumably he and Ann married sometime between 1841 and 1851. Needless to say, I still cannot find a marriage record at the moment.

Janet

janbooth

Perhaps a bingo moment. Marriage at Bradford St Peter on 30 September 1850 (available to view in full on Ancestry) between Joseph CRAVEN, 67, widower, Weaver, Bradford, no father shown, & Ann PICKARD, widow, 64, Bradford, father William BAILEY, Farmer.

1841 census of Bradford (HO107/1294/4, folio 41, page 30) shows William PICKARD, 60, Comber, born in the county, and wife Ann PICKARD, 60, not born in the county, living at Smith Street.

Definitely a bingo moment! Marriage at Shipley St Paul, Bradford, on 27 July 1834 between Wm PICKARD, of this parish, Comber and Ann WILKINSON, of this parish, widow (again parish register image available to view on Ancestry).

Janet

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The baptism image Cary refers to in post #1 in this thread can be found in post #7 in this thread.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Found her in the 1851 census - I think! Reference HO107/2308, folio 306, page 34:

13 Keighley Street, Bradford

Joseph CRAVEN Visitor Mar 67 Weaver Worsted Yorkshire Thornton
    Ann do Wife Mar 66 Suffolk

They are living in the household of a Sarah MITCHELL and her daughter.

Joseph CRAVEN would appear to be in the 1841 census of Bradford and is married to a Mary at this time, so presumably he and Ann married sometime between 1841 and 1851. Needless to say, I still cannot find a marriage record at the moment.

Janet
    Perhaps a bingo moment. Marriage at Bradford St Peter on 30 September 1850 (available to view in full on Ancestry) between Joseph CRAVEN, 67, widower, Weaver, Bradford, no father shown, & Ann PICKARD, widow, 64, Bradford, father William BAILEY, Farmer.

1841 census of Bradford (HO107/1294/4, folio 41, page 30) shows William PICKARD, 60, Comber, born in the county, and wife Ann PICKARD, 60, not born in the county, living at Smith Street.

Definitely a bingo moment! Marriage at Shipley St Paul, Bradford, on 27 July 1834 between Wm PICKARD, of this parish, Comber and Ann WILKINSON, of this parish, widow (again parish register image available to view on Ancestry).
    Janet
    Terrific sleuthing Janet

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast