Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Moss of Middlewich Cheshire

Hi
    I'm trying to trace the parents of my 4 x great grandfather James Moss b1810 - 1861 I've found his wife and children but am stuck and hit the proverbial brick wall - help !

janbooth

Jennie,

Ancestry's Select Births & Baptisms has the birth/baptism of a James MOSS at Middlewich on 26 April/29 May 1809 son of Eliass & Margaret MOSS. FindmyPast (a pay per view site) has the actual parish register entry for this birth/baptism.

A possible brother Robert baptised at Stockport St Mary, Cheshire on 1 May 1805 (born 1 April 1805), son of Elias & Peggy MOSS and another possible brother Elias baptised on 17 August 1806 at Quarnford, Staffordshire, son of Elias & Margaret MOSS.

There is a marriage record on 5 April 1803 at Kirkby Stephen, Westmorland between Elias MOSS & Margaret TODD according to Ancestry's Select Marriages, which could be relevant to you.

Janet

janbooth

Possibility of James & Sarah's actual parish register marriage record also available on FindmyPast which took place in 1827 at Longnor, Staffordshire. FMP also have Cheshire Land Tax records for an Elias MOSS at Wildboarclough, Cheshire between 1787 and 1790 plus a baptism at Quarnford in 1781 for an Elias MOSS.

There do seem to be several MOSS males connected with Quarnford, Staffordshire, including a James MOSS born c1781 who is a Blacksmith, so perhaps Quarnford would be a good place to look for possible ancestors of your James.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Smile

Thank you Janet you are a star