Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Flight Sergeant A Howell.

New to forum and looking for anyone who has any possible information on my grandfather A. Howell.

He was a Flight Sergeant and served at RAF Upwood, l believe in a training role and having served with The Buffs and RFC WW1 was around 54/55 years of age in 1944. I have looked at crew records and photographs of Upwood throughout WW2 but am drawing blanks...

My father served with 37 and 148 squadrons the latter in Foggia/Tortorella died in 1981, my uncle killed in action 1941 serving with 144 squadron Hemswell! Both sons of A Howell.

If any kind soul could lead me in a positive direction reference my research l would love to hear from you.

What was your Uncle's name? Maybe we can track him through CWGC...

You can write to the MOD, with proof of relationship, to get access to the records. There is a form you print then fill manually on the MOD

No Flight Sargent A Howell listed on here so he probably survived the war.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums JeffreyH
    If you came to us from Forces War Records reading This will tell you a little about us.

This 'sticky' explains about service records for WW11.
    Even though your grandfather served in WW1 if he also served in WW11 the MoD will still hold his records. This is a good thing because more than 60% of WW1service records were destroyed by bombing/fire in WW11.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

thewideeyedowl

Hi and a v quick welcome...

You might find some useful info here: https://www.rafupwood.co.uk/. Click around the site - it gives squadrons and some personnel. I could find HOWELLs but not with initial 'A'.

In great haste.

Owl

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Is this your uncle? - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...HOWELL,%20JACK

Your Grandfather may have a Medal Index Card on Ancestry if he was with the Buffs, but need more details.
    regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Regarding your Uncle, I can only find one Howell from 144 Sqdn who died in 1941. He was 55260 Sgt Jack Howell, W.Op (Wireless Operator)/ Air Gnr (Air Gunner), died 10 Apr 1941. He had the DFM. He was originally buried in Neeroeteren Roman Catholic Cemetery, but was later moved to Adegem Canadian War Cemetery when the CWGC cemeteries were organised after the war. There's no family info given, so I'm not sure that this is your Uncle.

That number is one digit short. He had been at RAF Cranwell to study as an Electrical & Wireless Boy Entrant. In the CEWBEA database I inherited from my Father, his number was 552601.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    What was your Uncle's name? Maybe we can track him through CWGC...
    Thank you Lesley. I have researched fully my Uncle who was indeed Sgt Jack Howell DFM, 144 squadron out of Hemswell and KIA 10th April 1941 returning from raid on Dusseldorf. Handley Page Hampden X3066, shot down by Hptmn Hans Dieter Frank ME110 B who was also killed in 1943. I am lucky enough to be in possession of his DFM, logbook and various photographs given to me by my dear old Mum. His father Albert and my Dad both served in WW2, my father in North Africa-Italy towards the end of the war with 148 squadron and Albert has a commendation from the Air Commanding Officer R.A Cochrain at RAF Upwood and certificate presented to him by a Group Captain Merton... This is where l draw a blank as Albert survived the war... You are very kind to take an interest and l will continue to dig around. Jeff.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by hijimhere View Post
    You can write to the MOD, with proof of relationship, to get access to the records. There is a form you print then fill manually on the MOD
    Thanks Jim, a visit is planned to Kew in the next few weeks so hoping to clear the fog a little... Jeff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast