Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Christina for this useful information. Jeff.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Owl.

I am looking through this very useful link and getting a flavour of RAF Upwood. Jeff.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Robert, it is indeed my uncle, Sgt Jack Howell DFM 144 squadron Hemswell. My grandfather l believe spent a short time in The Buffs and l believe then joined RFC and was in the RAF for many years becoming a Flight Sergeant at RAF Upwood which l guess given his age was ground training of some description... Can't find too much about him apart from a devotion to duty award certificate given to him when he was serving at Upwood, presented by Group Captain Merton. Any help would be much appreciated. Jeff.

To get his service records, you need to apply to the MOD, see THIS message. You'll need to provide a copy of his death certificate - be warned, the process can take weeks.

Judging by their service numbers, your Uncle and my Father were at RAF Cranwell at the same time. Dad was a couple of entries (twice a year) later. There's a section of my website about the CEWBEA HERE

BTW it's easier to help if we have relevant available information. For example, was your Grandfather also called Albert, or do you not know what his forename was?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wow! Thank you Lesley that's fascinating information and am enjoying the website. Jack Howell did join before the war started but l hadn't any idea that he was at Cranwell, knowing your father was there too is wonderful. As stated, l have uncle Jacks log book which shows numerous operations over Germany in 1939, 40, 41 but no knowledge of before that so another piece of jigsaw placed. My grandfather Albert Howell was definitely at RAF Upwood in WW2 but drawing blanks apart from known certificate he was presented with at that base. Don't know date given but seems he had long RAF career so think application to M.O.D a must for next step... If you would like photo l have of uncle Jack, his DFM etc l would be more than pleased to send to you. Jeff.

Well done Robert - I think some of the crew must have been Canadian for them to be taken to Canada - I think it was best to keep them together.

SueNSW

Quote Originally Posted by hijimhere View Post
    I think some of the crew must have been Canadian for them to be taken to Canada
    Just to clarify - this cemetery is called Adegem Canadian War Cemetery - but is situated in Belgium - information here - https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/...WAR%20CEMETERY

The crew were reburied there in 1972

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Pilot Officer R.Hamilton (Canadian)
    Pilot Officer N.Kerr (Irish)
    Sgt J Howell (English)
    Scot A.Wickens (English)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyH View Post

My father served with 37 and 148 squadrons the latter in Foggia/Tortorella died in 1981, my uncle killed in action 1941 serving with 144 squadron Hemswell! Both sons of A Howell.
    Hi - are you aware of Terry Maker's 148 Sqdn Yahoo Group, Dark Of The Moon? Fantastic source of info for this secretive squadron! Appreciate this is an old thread...

Cheers, Pat.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Pat. It's nice of you to start with help!

Is the site you mentioned the one HERE?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast