Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Brooks family Adderbury

Hi , Ive hit a brick wall searching for the parents for my great great granddad John Brooks born 1811 in Adderbury Oxfordshire, he married Sarah Petty from Quinton Gloucestershire on 15/12/1834 in Quinton, I have looked and looked but no luck ,so if somebody can help me I would be very grateful.

November

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums

I have moved this thread to the Oxfordshire forum as the Introduce yourself forum is just for saying hello.
    Someone will be along to help soon I'm sure.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, November (not often that I get to welcome an entire month!).

The "Introduce Yourself" forum is really just for telling us a little bit about yourself. Since you've posed a research question, I'm moving your message to the Oxfordshire forum where it might catch the eye of a local expert..

Just one thought - do you know anything about his siblings? If any of them married in 1837 or after, they'd have a marriage certificate which should name (at least) his father..

PS Chris beat me to it!

janbooth

A bit of a mystery here. Looking at the Oxfordshire FHS PR Transcripts of Adderbury:

There are no baptisms for the surname BROOKS (or variants) prior to 1838 when John & Sarah baptised their daughter Ann
    There are no marriages for the surname BROOKS between 1602 and 1813, the latter being the marriage on 27 December of a William BROOKS of Bodicote and Sarah JARVIS, a minor.
    No burials for the surname BROOKS prior to that of a George, aged 3 months, in 1870

I can trace your John & Sarah BROOKS in all census records up until his death in 1875 and he always states he is born in Adderbury. The William & Sarah BROOKS mentioned above are the only other BROOKS family in the vicinity of Adderbury in the 1841 census and they did have a son John baptised in 1818 but I have found him alive and kicking in the 1851 census of Banbury living in Broad Street with wife Ann & family.

I cannot find a likely non-conformist baptism for him at the moment in the Adderbury area, there is nothing at Banbury which is the most likely place, but will keep looking.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Janet for your help in trying to chase John Brooks, you can see why I asked for help I have been trying to find him for about 5 yrs, yes it is written in the census adderbury born and 1811 birth, but who knows we may get lucky yet

thanks once again November

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Lesley, it would be great if I knew of any siblings but not that lucky yet, will keep looking

November

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I too have followed the family in the records and like Janet #4 have nothing further to add!

The gap between marriage & first chid is 4 years??

All I can offer is www.genuki.org.uk

Wendy Archer

November -

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Thank you Janet for your help in trying to chase John Brooks, you can see why I asked for help I have been trying to find him for about 5 yrs, yes it is written in the census adderbury born and 1811 birth, but who knows we may get lucky yet

thanks once again November
    You say you've been looking - but you don't say where you've been looking!! Oxfordshire Family History Society has transcribed the parish registers of Oxfordshire - in the main, they're not on the web - and what would be most useful in your case is a search in the county-wide baptism index. See Surname Search Services on the left at www.ofhs.org.uk

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Wendy I hope to go to Oxford in a few weeks time and plan to visit the record Office, also looking into Gloucestershire records to see if anything turns up, also plan to use Family History Society.
    Thanks once again
    Novenber