Default Donovan in Bantry

I have many "lost" Irish ancestors. This is the 2nd one I would like to look at. Patrick Donovan was born around 1871 in Ireland. Oral family history says he was from Bantry. This branch is Catholic. I've looked through the entire NLI Bantry film with baptisms in the correct time frame, and I don't see a match. His death certificate gives parents names as Daniel Donovan and his mother's maiden name is listed as Catherine Donovan. I don't know if this means she was actually Donovan as well, or if the informant didn't know her maiden name. I don't know if he perhaps was born elsewhere then moved to Bantry? The birth date given on his death cert is 17 Mar 1871 but in talking with a granddaughter of his, she said she always felt like that date was maybe a baptized on that date instead. On varying records, his birth year changes around a bit, usually between 1868-1872, but anything with a date, March is pretty consistent. I know quite a bit going forward from his marriage in Illinois in 1900, but so far have been unable to pin down a birth/baptism record, parents names (particularly mother's maiden name), or immigration.

I do have several items - death certificate, marriage certificate (parents names left blank), naturalization papers, WWI Draft registration, place of burial, US census records and a newspaper article requesting heirs to be advised that his will had been petitioned for probate.

I don't have any paid subscriptions to any of those sites.
    Any ideas to get backwards into Ireland and confirm parent names and date/place of birth??
    Thanks!!

Hi
    I have moved this thread to the Cork, County wide forum where it has a better chance of catching the attention of those with more knowledge of Irish research than me.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There is this birth registration
    Patrick Donovan registered 1870 in the registration district of Bantry volume 20, page 31 but I do not know where you order them from.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

You can order a photocopy of the certificate from GRO Roscommon for €4 (euros). https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Apply...tificates.aspx

You have to download and print off the form. Then either post or fax it back to them. You can’t e-mail it to them. However if you want them to e-mail the cert to back to you, they will do that, so tick the relevant box.

Put the reference details on the form (anywhere). Don’t worry about leaving some boxes blank. As long as GRO have the location, name(s), year, quarter (where there is one), volume and page number they should find it.

Regarding whether the date of birth is actually a date of baptism, In Ireland, an RC baptism is normally within a very few days of the birth. Should a child die before it has been baptised there is a belief it will be left in limbo, consequently most parents and priests encourage prompt baptism. So the 2 dates should be pretty close together. You sometimes find the statutory date of birth is after the baptism. This is usually because either the parents made a mistake or more likely, they did not register the child within the required period of time and so, to avoid paying a late registration fee, they just moved the child’s date of birth forward to bring it within the relevant timescale (21 days I think).
    ELWYN

Thanks Ladies - I'll check out the link and see about ordering the report.

I found his wife's baptism, which was on the date she later used as her birth date. Not sure if she was therefore baptized the day she was born, or if she just used the same date, but at this point I'm figuring "close enough" LoL

Thanks for the reply Elwyn

I was hoping you would spot this post

Christina
    William Burroughs