Cary Christopher

Red face Sunderland, Durham Baptism Image Needed

I'm unable to find the baptism of Aaron Wilkinson, baptised 23 September 1810 at Sunderland, son of Moses Wilkinson and Ann Bailey. Ancestry.com only has a transcription and the Bishop's Transcript images for Sunderland are missing the years 1809 and 1810.

I'm trying to ascertain the occupation of Moses Wilkinson. Baptisms at Sunderland for 1808 and 1811 all include the occupation and residence of the father. I just don't where else to turn to find out this information.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

The baptism is also on FamilySearch.
    A major problem is that it's been taken from one of three films - 91114, 91115, and 91116, which are transcripts and cover
    "Church of England. Parish Church of Sunderland (Durham); Mailing Rigg Chapel (Sunderland : United Presbyterian Church); St. George's Chapel (Sunderland, Durham : Presbyterian); Church of England. Castle Eden (Durham); Church of England. St. Nicholas' Church (Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland)".
    Presumably, because it says Sunderland, it should be either the parish church of Sunderland, Mailing Rigg Chapel, or St George's Chapel.
    According to FS the original images for Sunderland parish church appear to be held at Durham University Library.
    https://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/transcripts.html
    Mailing Rigg Chapel's and St George's Chapel are at Tyne and Wear Archives Service, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland.

It's up to you as to which archive you ask first. Durham University Library is a pain to try and find an easy contact for. The best I can come up with is this page. https://www.dur.ac.uk/library/contacts/
    Tyne and Wear Archives are much easier.
    https://twarchives.org.uk/contact-us

In both cases, if you want a copy of the entry copying charges will apply. If however, you ask for just a look-up, then because you have the actual date they might do it for free.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Cary Christopher

Thank you, Pam! I'll try the Tyne & Wear Archives first.

Moses Wilkinson was from Sowerby, West Riding, Yorkshire and Ann Bailey was from Thornton by Bradford, West Riding. So it was surprising to find a baptism in Sunderland. However, he had a son, Charles William Wilkerson, who claimed he was born in Edinburgh, Scotland while his father was in the British Army. Charles Wilkinson appears in the 1841 and 1851 censuses living at Bradford. His year of birth appears as 1808 in Scotland in 1841 and as 1813 in the 1851 England and 1860 US census.

I haven't been able to find a baptism for Charles William Wilkinson in Edinburgh on Scotland'sPeople. They were Anglicans and I don't suppose there was a single Anglican Church in the whole of Scotland, let alone Edinburgh.

And to top it all off, I can't find a marriage record for Moses Wilkinson to Ann Bailey during the period 1800 to 1815.

I found a Moses Wilkinson in the 1st Battalion of the 84th Regiment of Foot enlisting in 1808. He served 8 years but the entire time he was either in Bombay, Mauritius (in 1810) and then back to India. The 1st Battalion never made it back to Britain until 1816. It would be impossible for Moses and Ann to have children born in 1810, 1813 and 1815 if he was in India.

You can now imagine why I posted to BG for the first time in several years. My wife and I have gone through an awful lot the past 9 years. Health issues intervened and I've been on permanent disability since 2010. My wife is my full-time caretaker but she doesn't get paid for it.

I used to really enjoy helping others in these forums even if I only have 3 thank yous (I helped a good many more than that).

Cary

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Christopher View Post

And to top it all off, I can't find a marriage record for Moses Wilkinson to Ann Bailey during the period 1800 to 1815.

I found a Moses Wilkinson in the 1st Battalion of the 84th Regiment of Foot enlisting in 1808. He served 8 years but the entire time he was either in Bombay, Mauritius (in 1810) and then back to India. The 1st Battalion never made it back to Britain until 1816. It would be impossible for Moses and Ann to have children born in 1810, 1813 and 1815 if he was in India.

Cary
    Wives & family often travelled with their Army husbands - so don't rule out the children yet. And perhaps Ann Bailey was the daughter of another military man, and they married where they were stationed.

How you go about proving this ... Don't ask me, I don't have a clue! (But someone else is sure to know )

Jane

Charles William Wilkinson's headstone on the Find A Grave site says he was born 1816 in England!

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Christopher View Post
    I'm unable to find the baptism of Aaron Wilkinson, baptised 23 September 1810 at Sunderland, son of Moses Wilkinson and Ann Bailey. Ancestry.com only has a transcription and the Bishop's Transcript images for Sunderland are missing the years 1809 and 1810.

I'm trying to ascertain the occupation of Moses Wilkinson. Baptisms at Sunderland for 1808 and 1811 all include the occupation and residence of the father. I just don't where else to turn to find out this information.
    I live in Sunderland and the Local Studies Library has microfilms of the original parish registers. I've found lots of my family's records there and even some for B-G members. Bear with me and I'll have a search next time I'm down there (Shouldn't be too long - especially if the weather is too bad to go out on the bike instead!)

Cheers, MTS

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emmteeyess View Post
    I live in Sunderland and the Local Studies Library has microfilms of the original parish registers. ..... Bear with me and I'll have a search next time I'm down there

Cheers, MTS
    I couldn't let this niggle away at me so I popped down this afternoon - found it in about 5mins - it's easy with the actual baptism date!

Moses was a 'weaver'.

The full entry reads -

Aaron Wilkinson, (entry no.) 327, (born) 7 Sept 1810, (bapt) 23 Sept 1810, 5th S(son of) Moses Wilkinson, Weaver, N (native) of Sowerby, Yre (Yorkshire), by Ann Bailey, N (native) of Burdle, Suffolk

There's a couple of surprises here - I was expecting him to be a soldier (as you mention) as the parish had a quite large barracks right in the middle of it. I'm not sure if a weaver would be directly connected to the military - say makling/repairing uniforms.
    I can't see a Burdle in the Suffolk Genuki listings - but the writing might say Bardle, and mean Bardwell badly pronounced - do you have any other clues?
    This is it if anyone else can interpret it -

The church was Sunderland Parish Church, which was Holy Trinity - there's a picture I uploaded on this thread - https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...rch-Sunderland

I've got a couple of pdfs of the full baptism entry that I was able to download for you. If you check your pms we can exchange emails and I'll send these to you.

Cheers, MTS

Cary Christopher

I'm so awfully grateful for your providing the info on both Moses Wilkinson and his wife, Ann Bailey. The entire family had Ann being born in Thornton by Bradford, West Yorkshire. Knowing that she was born in a village in Suffolk helped me to locate her in the 1861 census living with her unmarried daughter, Betty, at Bradford, West Yorkshire. She had the married name of Ann Craven so hopefully I'll find a wedding record.

I'm still shocked that Aaron Wilkinson should be listed as the FIFTH son of Moses. That would be 3 or 4 more sons than any of the family know about. Can find a Burdle in Suffolk on GENUKI but I'll keep searching. The 1861 census has it as Burdsdale, Suffolk so we'll see what I find out and will let you know.

Thanks, mate!!!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

This thread 'continues' here, where more information has been added.

To avoid duplication of research I am locking this thread and ask that you post any further help in the 'continued' thread.

Pam.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”